PDA

View Full Version : Helping others make the switch to Ubuntu

underdog512
May 19th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I posted this article on my blog earlier this week and I wanted to get the community's take on it.

http://tekdog.cc/2011/05/tekdogs-guide-to-helping-others-make-the-switch-to-ubuntu/

Let me know what you think.

aphatak
May 19th, 2011, 05:34 PM
First class article. Really liked it.

Oxwivi
May 19th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Two things, first, as I read elsewhere, why mention the kernel in the name? It's Ubuntu, a Linux-based operating system, not Ubuntu Linux - Windows users, for example, don't give a damn what kernel is Windows running on. Second, the sixth part "Follow up", in the sentence you mentioned TeamViewer you wrote "fix/tweek" (spelling mistake), it should be "tweak".

underdog512
May 19th, 2011, 05:43 PM
in the sentence you mentioned TeamViewer you wrote "fix/tweek" (spelling mistake), it should be "tweak".

Good call. I have corrected it.

Irihapeti
May 19th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Seeing as we are talking about spelling, the word "elude" (beginning of final paragraph) is the wrong one in the context. It should be "allude" (refer indirectly to). "Elude" means to avoid or dodge.

underdog512
May 19th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Seeing as we are talking about spelling, the word "elude" (beginning of final paragraph) is the wrong one in the context. It should be "allude" (refer indirectly to). "Elude" means to avoid or dodge.

Ok, Fixed that too. Grammar aside, I would really like to know everyone thinks of the content.

Oxwivi
May 19th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Sorry about not commenting on the content, it was excellent, no flaws to or objection to report except the Ubuntu Linux thing I mentioned earlier. Great job!

Irihapeti
May 19th, 2011, 07:09 PM
It seemed to me to be a fairly sensible and balanced article overall.

One suggestion: if you are suggesting that people use remote desktop, that you stress the need for a decent password on the thing. Just looking at the security subforum, I get the impression that it's one of the top ways that Ubuntu desktop users get hacked.

underdog512
May 19th, 2011, 07:36 PM
if you are suggesting that people use remote desktop, that you stress the need for a decent password on the thing.

That is actually why I suggested TeamViewer. With TeamViewer you have to open the application and give someone the User ID and a randomly generated password in order to grant access, so it is vastly more secure than something like VNC.

Irihapeti
May 19th, 2011, 08:24 PM
That is actually why I suggested TeamViewer. With TeamViewer you have to open the application and give someone the User ID and a randomly generated password in order to grant access, so it is vastly more secure than something like VNC.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. I had kind of assumed that TeamViewer was something that worked on Windows (which might occasionally be necessary for remote support).

underdog512
May 19th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I had kind of assumed that TeamViewer was something that worked on Windows

Thats the beauty of TeamViewer (http://www.teamviewer.com). It works on Windows, Linux, Mac, and Mobile Platforms.