PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Ubuntu version?

Sam White
May 19th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Ok, here's the deal. I want you all to name your favourite Ubuntu versions, with a reason, just for the hell of it.

Mine: 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) 64-bit.

Reason: Was the first version I used when switching from Windows - I find it more stable than Natty, and more functional and feature-rich than Lucid.

Now it's your turn....

GO!!!

This should be interesting... :popcorn:

EDIT: Added Poll

alaukikyo
May 19th, 2011, 12:09 PM
mine is natty because it has the best interface by default .

ilovelinux33467
May 19th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Mine: 8.04 (Hardy Heron)

Reason: First release when I went full Linux - everything just worked. It was a great release. Also the default wallpaper was awesome

jre6
May 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM
For me, its 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope). Everything worked on it and the selection of programs on it were fine. The versions >= 9.10 have a bug which ensures that I cannot connect to the internet without having to type a few commands on the terminal with my Huawei modem EC1260 ,and sometimes I cannot connect at all, and the obvious solution is to restart the computer (if I am right, it is a kernel bug where I must rmmod usb-storage and modprobe usbserial before nm-applet recognises it).

And 11.04 is simply crap (unity, global menu, scrollbars).

Swagman
May 19th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I agree about Hardy Heron. My Ubuntu Journey started on 7:04 but Hardy cured lots of glitches.

My Fave so far is Maverick though. I've got used to the buttons on the left and lots of things now work.

Rasa1111
May 19th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Mine: 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Reason: It was the first Linux distro I used that was perfect in all ways, no issues, no glitches, nothing incompatible, etc.
Best OS I've ever used.
Started with 9.10, which was great, but a few issues.
Then 10.04, even better than 9.10, with less issues than 9.10, but still a couple issues.
But 10.10 was flawless all around.

Still have 10.10 on it's own *main* partition, and going to keep it as long as possible I think.
But been using 11.04 in its own partition for about a month+, Just so I can get comfortable with Unity for the future.
11.04 is pretty nice though, and if it's this nice now..
I can only imagine how sweet it'll be a couple/few releases down the road.

speedwell68
May 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM
10.04 LTS as it was rock solid. The first version I used was 6.10 Edgy Eft, that seems like an age ago now. Currently on Xubuntu 11.04, loving it at the moment, but have only been using it for a couple of days so I can't claim it to be my favourite yet.

malspa
May 19th, 2011, 12:49 PM
10.04 LTS (lucid). That's what I have installed right now and it's working great.

elliotbeken
May 19th, 2011, 12:49 PM
mine would be 10.04LTS as it is used on my servers and as said before it is solid!

i also like 10.10 for the workstations and laptops (ubuntu began from 6.10 for me!)

bowens44
May 19th, 2011, 12:51 PM
10.10 64bit - it's close to perfect.

Sam White
May 19th, 2011, 12:56 PM
10.10 64bit - it's close to perfect.

agreed. It is absolutely stable and rock-solid

el_koraco
May 19th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Another vote for 10.10.

neu5eeCh
May 19th, 2011, 01:06 PM
11.04 Xubuntu. Seriously. (And no, that's not Unity flame bait.)

cmcanulty
May 19th, 2011, 01:27 PM
10.04 fast perfect. Now Ubuntu seems to be copying Apple & Windows and needing more & more resources and less productivity. Not everyone likes to buy new hardware every few years.

Noz3001
May 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM
7.10 (Gutsy) will always be in my heart as the distro which introduced me to Linux, but 10.10 x86_64 is my favorite release so far. So solid and wasn't influenced by any horrific decisions by the developers (*cough* UNITY).

KL_72_TR
May 19th, 2011, 01:42 PM
9.10 was my first contact with Ubuntu and it was great.
Than I upgraded to 10.04 (LTS) and it was even better.
I tried 10.10, the same as 10.04.
For three times installed 11.04, unfortunately not good as its predecessors.
So for the moment my best votes are going to 10.04 and I'll stick with it to the end.
My best wishes to all the other versions :-)

Gremlinzzz
May 19th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Unity I don't have to theme it.
easy to use.like, just right click on applications and gives me same choices as control panel which i use too install.it looks like a system of its own, I like it.:D

leviathan8
May 19th, 2011, 02:28 PM
10.04 and I won't uninstall it until 2013. :D

Madspyman
May 19th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Either Jaunty or Maverick, in between there was a who lot of disappointment. Loss of GDM 2.20 (all Gnome distro's lost this), pointless design decisions, ugly wallpapers Purple Rain, Plymouth problems, and reasoning along the lines of because I said so. Maverick everything started to rebound the plastic look of Lucid was refined into something more substantial, speed was tops and (at least for me) everything seemed to work just right out of the box.

Followed by extreme jump to Natty. Boot problems again, less hardware will run it, Gnome 2 is on the way out (again all Gnome distro's) plenty of design borrowed (copied) from OS X, pointless overlay scrollbars, defaults that require more defaults that require bloated dependencies (banshee needs mono), and Unity is missing some of the better features of Gnome Shell, while Gnome Shell is missing some of Unity's feature.

For my laptop I've been doing a command line install from a Minimal CD since Lucid. After upgrading from Maverick to Natty I had trouble booting to the command line. After installing Natty fresh from the Minimal CD same problem. Turns out Natty has default for Grub (GRUB_CMDLINE_EXTRA="$GRUB_CMDLINE_EXTRA vt.handoff=7) to help Plymouth boot seamless for a Graphical install, however even if you're not doing a Graphical install it's still a default and booting to the command line causes gives you a blank screen.

Natty wins my vote for worst Ubuntu distro for having graphical errors without X11 even installed.

StrayEddy
May 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM
10.04, cause it s stable, and i m not sure about Unity yet.

I m waiting for a new LTS

Philsoki
May 19th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) - Just because it was my first distro and experience with Linux. And everything on my laptop worked out of the box with it! Even my Sony DUO card reader which no distro after ever noticed it by default again.

Sam White
May 19th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I feel I should expand on why I prefer Maverick to 10.04. For me, they were both fairly similar, but because I started out on Maverick, I feel that anything older (such as 10.04) will be lacking. 10.10 64 bit runs superbly on my laptop, and I will not be upgrading for as long as I can, or until a new version comes out that everyone is raving about.

I certainly will NOT give 11.04 another chance, because I installed 4 times, and each came with a different problem. Moving on to Natty 64-bit from maverick 32-bit felt like a step backwards. Then I moved onto 10.04 LTS 64-bit, but this felt lacking compared to Maverick.

After 10.04 came Ubuntu Studio maverick 64-bit, or at least it would have done, but the first install gave me no GUI, and the second gave me a grub error. So now I am back where I started, but with the 64-bit version to harness all the power that I can, and I will noot be moving for some time, I can assure you!

robertcoulson
May 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Favorite --------- 10.10 64 bit
Least favorite---- 11.04 any bit
Robert

tmette
May 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM
When I originally installed Ubuntu, I believe it was 5.04, but I had a lot of hardware compatibility issues and didn't stick with it for more than a few months. Every once in a while I would check out a live CD to see how it has progressed and finally installed 9.10. It was amazing and worked perfectly on my desktop. Used it for quite a while then needed to change to Windows because of school and work applications. Now I'm back and I installed 11.04 to get used to Unity. It's actually not too bad and once more customization features come, I think it will be really good.

My favorite has to be 9.10 though..worked flawlessly for me. There's something about those *.10 releases, they are always my favorite. :)

I think it's just because the fall weather here is absolutely great and I can finally open the window next to my PC and feel the cool autumn air.

Lucradia
May 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I voted for Jaunty, but I really meant Hardy.

Onoku
May 19th, 2011, 04:44 PM
10.04 Lucid. It was my first linux distro and it just worked. i didn't have to trouble shoot squat.

underdog512
May 19th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I like Maverick Meerkat as well because it is very feature rich. However, right now I am running Natty with Unity because I believe it has a lot of potential.

alaukikyo
May 19th, 2011, 04:54 PM
11.04 since unity is awesome and gnome-panel is totally ugly coudn't stand it .

Megaptera
May 19th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Voted for 10.04 as that's what I'm using now and will be for some time to come!
Started with 8.04 and used all in between with no problems - I like them all except 11.04 (no need to expand on that here!!)

bluelamp999
May 19th, 2011, 05:06 PM
10.10 64 bit, it's just rock solid for me.

A small bit of theming, move window controls back to the right and that's it.

I have to say I really hate the blatant OS X influence creeping in to later Ubuntus.

I will *NEVER* accept windows controls on the left and with Natty's putting the app menu in the top panel (a la OS X) they can only ever be on the left...

I'll probably end up switching to XFCE or similar when Gnome 2 is retired...

Sorry for the bit of a rant, I really love and respect Ubuntu and Canonical.

Sam White
May 21st, 2011, 07:44 PM
Anoyone else want to share their views? So far Maverick is taking it.

bplzip
May 21st, 2011, 08:56 PM
Lucid 10.04 has been my desktop and laptop OS since the Beta release. It runs great on both computers and meets all of my needs. I've played with every Ubuntu release since Lucid on USB flash drives, but have found nothing that makes me want to upgrade. 11.04 looks and runs great on my laptop, but for me some things are just more easily done with Lucid.

I'll probably stay with Lucid until support ends in 2013. Why dump something that just works, and isn't broken?

keithpeter
May 21st, 2011, 09:21 PM
+1 Hardy Heron

Ran on all the computers I had then (G4 iBook, P3/256Mb Dell and an old P4 desktop). Wifi just worked, mobile internet dongle just worked, printer worked. Common platform for all the hardware.

Remember I started with 5.04...

Mind you, Xubuntu 11.04 is looking ok so far...

cheapie
May 21st, 2011, 10:13 PM
I like Natty the best. Unity+Compiz=Awesome! The first version of Ubuntu that I ever used was Intrepid, but I have also played with the alpha versions of Jaunty, Maverick, and Natty before.

Frogs Hair
May 21st, 2011, 10:20 PM
I like 11.04 , but I used 10.10 64 for 6 flawless months , so time will tell . 11.04 is running every bit as well so far .

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 21st, 2011, 11:56 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.

It works on all of my computers. It is easy to install and use. My wife, children, and grandchildren can find their way around the menus in order to use it. It is an LTS; therefore, it can be used for a long time before the family needs to learn a new GUI. As an LTS, it require less work for me to maintain 9 computers; because. I don't have to upgrade all of them as often.

Dustin2128
May 21st, 2011, 11:57 PM
Mine: 8.04 (Hardy Heron)

Reason: First release when I went full Linux - everything just worked. It was a great release. Also the default wallpaper was awesome
This.

gsmanners
May 22nd, 2011, 01:31 AM
10.04 FTW

Best combination of features and stability yet. That's comparing it to every release since 5.10.

jerrylamos
May 22nd, 2011, 01:59 AM
Natty Narwhal with Unity 2D runs on all my pc's from newest fastest to netbook to medium to older but still runs usefully.

Now after a couple months I'm still faster with less keystrokes on traditional Gnome desktop, but I find myself using Unity 2D anyway.

Unity 3D? Only runs on 2 of the pc's, and besides that when I'm running full screen applications which is what I do mostly Compiz is busy using up 5% of processor cycles calculating shading and I don't know what all else - totally useless since nothing it is doing is visible.

Ocelot next, Alpha 1 somewhere around June 2. I'll put it on a USB hard drive for testing - Oversize?? As usual?? The USB hard drive is a 100 GB...

Jerry

jmszr
May 22nd, 2011, 02:00 AM
I have a soft spot for Feisty (7.04), as it was my introduction to Ubuntu; my vote is for Hardy (8.04). I went full-time Ubuntu with Hardy and used it up 'til 10.04.1 was released.

It will be interesting to see what the landscape in linuxland looks like around 12.04 time, until then I plan on enjoying 10.04 Lucid Lynx and the Ubuntu Forums community.