PDA

View Full Version : MySQL error on simple insert into single table

cdaringe
May 19th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Hi all:

Maybe it just late. Maybe this is my first experience with MySQL***. I'm trying to write a BOM/PLC web-based mgr for the RepRap project (cdaringe.net).

Can't figure out this error i get when trying to simply add a record to the "item" table. This is from executing the form I have posted @ http://cdaringe.net/createPN.php .

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DESC,source,uom,rev,lifecycle)VALUES ('ABCD123','ABCD123ABCD123ABCD123','ROUTABL' at line 1

The relevant code that is gen'in the error is ~ the very bottom of this! See $insertNewQuery.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<?php

/*GRAB POSTED VALUES FROM PN FORM SUBMIT, createPN.php*/
//strtoupper converts all letters to uppercase!
$pn = strtoupper($_POST['pn']);
$description = strtoupper($_POST['description']);
$source = strtoupper($_POST['source']); //i.e. procurement
$uom = strtoupper($_POST['uom']);
$lifecycle = strtoupper($_POST['lifecycle']);

/*DB connect parameter*/
$database="cdarin5_bom";
$conn = mysql_connect($host,$username,$password);
/*connet to BOM DB*/
mysql_select_db($database, $conn);

//Validate data
/// - 1 - PN requested doesn't already exist
//query to see if that PN already exists
$countPNsQuery = "SELECT PN, COUNT(PN) FROM item WHERE item.PN='".$pn."'";
$numberPNsResult= mysql_query($countPNsQuery) or die(mysql_error());
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($numberPNsResult)){ //review results of PN query. if results return a single PN, we know that the PN already exists. fail it.
if ($row['COUNT(PN)']>0){
$failureText = "There is currenlty already ". $row['COUNT(PN)'] ." PN already in the item table. You must create a unique part number";
}
}
/// - 2 - DESCRIPTION length
if (strlen($description)<10){
$failureText = "Your description is too short. It must be @ least 10 characters long. By following the standard PN DESCRIPTION FORMAT, your description should easily be longer than this!";
}

/// - 3 - Source check
if ($source=="BUY" OR $source=="ROUTABLE" OR $source=="PHANTOM"){
}
else{
$failureText = "Why are you hacking? Hacking is for a$*holes. Get real, dawg! [source]";
}

/// - 4 - Lifecycle input check
if ($lifecycle=="STANDARD" OR $lifecycle=="RD"){
}
Else{
$failureText = "Why are you hacking? Hacking is for a$*holes. Get real, dawg! [lifecycle]";
}
/// - 5 - Lifecycle auto-assign
switch ($lifecycle) {
case "STANARD":
$rev = "A";
case "RD":
$rev = "1";
}

//Update item's table with new PN
if (strlen($failureText)>0){
echo $failureText . "</br>";
echo "Part creation has failed. Please resolve issues & reattempt.";
}
else{
$insertNewQuery = "INSERT INTO item (PN,DESC,source,uom,rev,lifecycle) VALUES ('".$pn."','".$description."','".$source."','".$uom."','".$rev."','".$lifecycle."')";
mysql_query($insertNewQuery) or die(mysql_error());
ECHO "NEW PN CREATED! YAHOO!";
}
?>
</body>
</html>

Copied straight out of phpMyAdmin on the 'item' table...

Field Type Collation
PN varchar(7) ascii_bin
DESC varchar(30) ascii_bin
source varchar(8) ascii_general_ci
uom varchar(5) ascii_general_ci
rev varchar(2) utf8_general_ci
lifecycle varchar(7) ascii_general_ci

Any tips? What is wrong with my syntax?

Thanks!

-CD

Barrucadu
May 19th, 2011, 09:50 AM
"desc" is a reserved word.

prohp
May 19th, 2011, 09:56 AM
but you CAN use desc, just put it inside ` - `DESC`.

Some Penguin
May 19th, 2011, 10:03 AM
"INSERT INTO item (PN,DESC,source,uom,rev,lifecycle) VALUES ('".$pn."','".$description."','".$source."','".$uom."','".$rev."','".$lifecycle."')";

On a related note, don't do this. Specifically, don't assemble a query via string concatenation of non-escaped user input. What if, say, $description happened to be

'); DROP TABLE item;--

for instance?

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-real-escape-string.php exists for a reason.

Barrucadu
May 19th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Even better, use prepared statements to completely nullify a possibility of SQL injection.

indytim
May 19th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Additional hint:

If you're getting an error on a sql statement, do an "echo" or print on the sql statement before processing. 99.5% of the time, the snytax error will jump out at you.

-IndyTim DataMan

satanselbow
May 19th, 2011, 12:33 PM
but you CAN use desc, just put it inside ` - `DESC`.

That is just stunning bad practice and asking for trouble. Reserved words are there for a reason...

I knew a guy who created a mySQL table with a field called "FORMAT" and populated it with letters of the alphabet... why don't you give that a try ;)

cdaringe
May 24th, 2011, 07:51 AM
what a bummer! who woulda thought 'desc' was a reserved word.
well, i tried 'poor syntax' just as a TEST, and it still didn't roll. interesting. when i have some free time this weekend i'll update the field in the table to the full word, description.

a follow up question--i have successfully read descriptions OUT of the table. does it make sense that i only have issues INSERTING data into this field?

cdaringe
July 12th, 2011, 05:26 AM
2 months later! patched it up. thanks guys!