PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] difficulty installing Samsung CLX3175FN

bob steele
May 19th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Hi All,

I'm at my wits end with this and am about ready to ditch Ubuntu. Everything has gone very well up to this point but, in trying to install the Samsung CLX3175FN, it's all gone sour. I have no clue how to use a terminal. I have no clue what a tar ball or package is or are and I'm really tired of hearing about repositories and sources.

I've used the CUPS thing, installs the printer no problem. But not the scanner nor the fax. I visited Samsung.com and downloaded all the components;

PSU_1.01.tar.gz
Smartpanel_1.01.tar.gz
UnifiedLinuxDriver_1.01.tar.gz

Followed the Samsung instructions and I have no idea if it worked or not [I'm not a programmer]. Though, I'm assuming it didn't because I still can't scan nor fax and the same printer is present in Printers. I certainly didn't see anything that even looked like an install or setup screen. I burnt a CD and tried to add that to the sources in Software Centre. No such luck. I tried to get the cd to run or install, no such luck. I've searched for instructions specific to this issue, no such luck.

Ubuntu seems able to find a network printer but not the scanner nor the fax nor is it able to install the software from the cd.

Ubuntu is supposed to be easy to use, this is not easy, this is entirely frustrating and has successfully sucked up more time than any windows issue I've ever dealt with. There are six PCs on our home network, all of them would require the network scanner, fax and printer, plus the status monitor. If it's going to be this difficult on all... Please, is there no simple way to install a device in Ubuntu without having to resort to using terminal?

Yours Sincerely

Bob Steele

PS I'm trying to use Linux for several reasons, not the least of which is that the entire house is sick to death of viruses, adware, spyware, trojans and all the other malicious stuff that comes built into microsoft products and we can't afford Mac. This will be our 3rd and possibly final trail of Linux. We really want to get off windows, but it will not happen if it's going to be this difficult.

bobsteele@internode.on.net