PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Monitor problems fresh install

Randal Graves
May 19th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Hi everyone!

So with the help of a friend I installed Ubuntu 11.04 and everything seemed to be going smooth until I tried to set up my dual monitors from mirror screens to separate screens. I used the monitor application that came with the computer but no matter what I did i couldnt get it to change off of mirror. So as I was fiddling with the settings and I changed the screen size... bad move. The images in the system tray and the launcher are now grainy and totally indecipherable. My entire screen is grainy but the launcher/systemtray are totally screwed. The graphics are good enough away from the launcher/systray but still nothing I could use for long (but I am online typing this up with it).

First I tried to reinstall off the usb stick, I selected the 'upgrade' option but that took forever and when it was done upgrading (which took longer than the original install fwiw) I still had the same problem. Next I booted straight from the usb stick and still had the same problem. I then totally reinstalled Ubuntu and of course when it was done, the problem was still there. Finally I tried a safe mode boot and when I did that the graphics were back to normal.

Heard lots of good things about linux and Im not gonna let this scare me but Im pretty stumped. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I searched around and in the Upgrade thread but didnt see anything like this, feel free to move this thread if its already covered some where.

Thanks,

RG

http://www.up-urs.net/files/1305771767Screenshot.png

Randal Graves
May 19th, 2011, 06:03 AM
I apologize, I should have posted in the graphics thread. Only after getting past the first few pages did I realize it evolved into all graphics issues.