PDA

View Full Version : Gnome os????????

Lisimelis
May 18th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Just found this! Sorry if it is reposted....seems that the whole linux and free software in general is in a kind of weird war where everyone wants to be in a different direction...really disturbing...

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/gnome-to-drop-support-for-bsd-solaris-unix/

JDShu
May 18th, 2011, 09:22 PM
It's been brought up before, just that one of the devs is pushing for it again.

Personally, my uneducated opinion* is that it's a good idea. If supporting BSD and Solaris is going to slow down progress of Gnome on Linux, then by all means, stop actively supporting them. As discussed in the mailing list, it's FOSS anyway, so the BSD folk or somebody interested can fork it.

I always hedge my bets.

sanderd17
May 18th, 2011, 09:24 PM
For the "big guys", there is no much difference than in the commercial world. That means that they help each other when there is a win-win (like in the beginning, cannonical helped Gnome and the other way around). But when the win-win situation is done, they can fight each other.

The only difference is that they can take each others code, so for the users, it does not matter that they are fighting, the quality isn't worse than it was before (but maybe the development is a bit slower because of the fighting). This is a big plus of open source.

tjeremiah
May 18th, 2011, 09:32 PM
more confusion in the linux world.

Dry Lips
May 18th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Suddenly this new Gnome-shell thing makes sense.
They're about to give Android some serious competition.
They knew what they were about to do all along...

MBybee
May 18th, 2011, 10:44 PM
It's been brought up before, just that one of the devs is pushing for it again.

Personally, my uneducated opinion* is that it's a good idea. If supporting BSD and Solaris is going to slow down progress of Gnome on Linux, then by all means, stop actively supporting them. As discussed in the mailing list, it's FOSS anyway, so the BSD folk or somebody interested can fork it.

I always hedge my bets.

As a 'BSD guy' - most BSD people I know run KDE or XFCE because Gnome on BSD kinda sucks already. Not that KDE is a whole ton better, really...

/edit - I should specify FreeBSD/PC-BSD/OpenBSD. I haven't tried on the others :)

JDShu
May 19th, 2011, 03:06 AM
As a 'BSD guy' - most BSD people I know run KDE or XFCE because Gnome on BSD kinda sucks already. Not that KDE is a whole ton better, really...

/edit - I should specify FreeBSD/PC-BSD/OpenBSD. I haven't tried on the others :)

heh there you go, better to do one thing well, than multiple things badly.

Noz3001
May 19th, 2011, 03:10 AM
heh there you go, better to do one thing well, than multiple things badly.

Isn't that a unix philosophy? =P

jerenept
May 19th, 2011, 03:16 AM

BSD is UNIX.

Noz3001
May 19th, 2011, 03:24 AM
BSD is UNIX.

I know. I wasn't thinking about BSD, more that I recognised what was posted.

MBybee
May 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM

Excluding Emacs, yes :D

RiceMonster
May 19th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Excluding Emacs, yes :D

Emacs: do everything except what you actually want to.

PC_load_letter
May 19th, 2011, 05:04 PM
more confusion in the linux world.

Can't agree more. There are far reaching technical and in my opinion even moral problems with this. I was following the comments to this news at the OMG Ubuntu web page, and to me the biggest problem is a conflict of interest. For example:
- Will Gnome DE work best with Gnome OS? Is it going to be the case that any deviation from certain configurations and you get problems that the Gnome team may not be inclined to fix or deal with.

- How hard, or how far the Gnome team will be willing to work with a developer working on a non-Gnome OS component? Will he be then considered a competition?

I am sorry but I strongly disagree with this decision and to say the least, I think it's going to be a distraction from the main objective, which is the development of the Gnome DE.

sdowney717
May 19th, 2011, 05:06 PM
“The future of GNOME is as a Linux based OS. It is harmful to pretend that you are writing the OS core to work on any number of different kernels, user space subsystem combinations, and core libraries.

read out of context presupposing the goal is a gnome os, all they propose is gnome only for linux.
No BSD. solaris or whatever else gnome is running on.

forgo keeping support for other non-Linux operating systems such as BSD, Solaris and Unix in the process.
this part is accurate.