PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] problems with unity

leeper69
May 18th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Hi I just downloaded Ubuntu 11.4 and would like to know how to get rid of unity. I don't like the way unity works. it wont find files and some programs are not all listed and I hate the way it looks.is there a way to go back to the old Gnome desktop?

Elfy
May 18th, 2011, 06:05 PM
logout - make sure your username is in the box - pick classic from the options at the bottom - login (at least I think that'll do it) not using gnome atm

leeper69
May 18th, 2011, 09:07 PM
thanks for trying but there are no choices at the bottom of my log on screen.

Elfy
May 18th, 2011, 09:13 PM
k - have a search on the forum for classic

there are loads (I do mean loads) of threads exactly like this one ;)

personally I gave up and went with xfce ...

was sure this was the way to do it - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10743286&postcount=12

coffeecat
May 18th, 2011, 09:44 PM
thanks for trying but there are no choices at the bottom of my log on screen.

There are, but you need to follow forestpiskie's directions.

1 - Enter you username. Only then does the choice appear at the bottom of the screen.

2 - Choose "Classic".

3 - Enter your password.

4 - Enjoy classic gnome environment.

I don't know what the defaults in classic desktop are at the moment (I always log into Unity), but during development we saw the global menu (app menus in the panel) and the Applications/Places/System menus all-in-one. If those are still so as defaults and you don't like them, post back and I'll tell you how to get gnome as you like it. :)

EDIT: Forget the last paragraph. I've just logged into classic gnome (and out again!) and the main menu and app menus are back where they used to be. Must have been a temporary aberration during the development period.

wildmanne39
May 19th, 2011, 10:50 AM
There are, but you need to follow forestpiskie's directions.

1 - Enter you username. Only then does the choice appear at the bottom of the screen.

2 - Choose "Classic".

3 - Enter your password.

4 - Enjoy classic gnome environment.

I don't know what the defaults in classic desktop are at the moment (I always log into Unity), but during development we saw the global menu (app menus in the panel) and the Applications/Places/System menus all-in-one. If those are still so as defaults and you don't like them, post back and I'll tell you how to get gnome as you like it. :)

EDIT: Forget the last paragraph. I've just logged into classic gnome (and out again!) and the main menu and app menus are back where they used to be. Must have been a temporary aberration during the development period.
Hi, they are not there anymore.

coffeecat
May 19th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Hi, they are not there anymore.

Indeed. But they might come back. I live in hope! :)

leeper69
May 19th, 2011, 08:14 PM
h
Hi and thank you all for your help!

I don't have any option to change back to the classic desktop in my login screen ever, but I did find a way to get rid of unity. from the main menu go to system and pick administration then click on login screen then click on the unlock button and enter your root password then pick Ubuntu classic as your default session.
thanks again to all who answered my post!