PDA

View Full Version : Question of legality

conradin
May 18th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hi all,
Recently I wrote some scripts which automate creating email accounts, and corresponding twitter accounts, and potentially facebook accounts. To do this, I created a large pool of Virtual (fake) names (about 1000) and corresponding data points to manage filling the forms required from twitter / facebook.

The Captcha stopped me in facebook, and I haven't got to the AI to solve those yet. The intended purpose was to set up a virtual community and push data into the social network feeds like facebook and twitter. As in the 1000 virtual users I created could networked, then leverage the profiles to route various data mining algorithms to products of choice and generate traffic.

Ethos aside, this project was terminated by a boss who has gotten fearful of legal repercussions. What is the legality of manipulating data mining tools like facebook, twitter an other social media?

Grenage
May 18th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Ethos aside indeed, I can't see it being illegal, but you can bet it's against the terms and conditions of the social sites.

Elfy
May 18th, 2011, 04:47 PM
This isn't the place to look for legal advice. Closed.