PDA

View Full Version : Ubunut.com ???

Macfunky
May 18th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I have just went to visit the ubuntu website but made a typo, www.ubunut.com. At first i didn't realise my mistake as the page looks like the official ubuntu.com website but i then realised that they were showing up 11.04 as a beta to download. I thought this was quite odd so i checked the address and realised my mistake. What is this website doing looking like the official website? Is there something going on or am i thinking too much into it? Just found myself curious when i came across it. It's a copy of the official site but seems to be behind a bit.

lucazade
May 18th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I have just went to visit the ubuntu website but made a typo, www.ubunut.com. At first i didn't realise my mistake as the page looks like the official ubuntu.com website but i then realised that they were showing up 11.04 as a beta to download. I thought this was quite odd so i checked the address and realised my mistake. What is this website doing looking like the official website? Is there something going on or am i thinking too much into it? Just found myself curious when i came across it. It's a copy of the official site but seems to be behind a bit.

It is official domain

$ whois ubunut.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: UBUNUT.COM
Registrar: MARKMONITOR INC.
Whois Server: whois.markmonitor.com
Referral URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
Name Server: NS1.CANONICAL.COM
Name Server: NS2.CANONICAL.COM
Name Server: NS3.CANONICAL.COM
Updated Date: 13-nov-2010
Creation Date: 15-dec-2004
Expiration Date: 15-dec-2012

note: I hope expiration date is not due to Maya's Prediction!

frankbooth
May 18th, 2011, 08:43 AM
note: I hope expiration date is not due to Maya's Prediction!

:lolflag:

Macfunky
May 18th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Fair enough but why is it a copy of the official website? Just reminds me of when hackers set up identical websites with an almost identical address to scam people. Obviously that can't be done on the ubuntu page :P But has me intrigued why it is there.

lucazade
May 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Fair enough but why is it a copy of the official website?

Because typos are frequent.. Canonical bought other domains to avoid fake websites with similar names doing nasty things!

Oxwivi
May 18th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Because typos are frequent.. Canonical bought other domains to avoid fake websites with similar names doing nasty things!
It is possible to simply redirect, I hope you are aware.

lucazade
May 18th, 2011, 09:35 AM
It is possible to simply redirect, I hope you are aware.

In fact is a simple redirect! Which is more or less what I tried to say above, isn't it?

Copper Bezel
May 18th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Look again. This (http://www.ubunut.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download) is not a redirect. It's a copy of the site at an earlier time, and the URL is the typo'd one, not the real domain, as it would be with a redirect.

Oxwivi
May 18th, 2011, 10:05 AM
In fact is a simple redirect! Which is more or less what I tried to say above, isn't it?
It isn't a redirect if you see it boasting beta releases. It's simply the old version of the website. It's a redirect if the website refers you the actual Ubuntu site.

lucazade
May 18th, 2011, 10:09 AM
It isn't a redirect if you see it boasting beta releases. It's simply the old version of the website. It's a redirect if the website refers you the actual Ubuntu site.

Ooops.. haven't seen in download page it is available 10.10.. yes is an old copy of website

Macfunky
May 18th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Why an old copy of the website though? Surely that could be stored locally if they wanted to keep it. Why have it up on a website with a similar domain name?

ssam
May 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM
you can file bugs about the ubuntu website on launchpad

Oxwivi
May 18th, 2011, 10:31 AM
There you go. Looks like they are simply wasting host-space with old versions or archiving on that typo domain.

jhonan
May 18th, 2011, 11:02 AM
It could be;

a) A backup domain on a different server in case the main server/host goes down - they can setup a redirect to that one

or

b) Set up this way because a URL redirect won't be favorably indexed by search engines

or

c) <insert conspiracy theory here>