PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.04 upgrade on Acer laptop causes complete system hang within minutes

Khelair
May 18th, 2011, 07:05 AM
After having had success on my primary desktop machine upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04 via the automated upgrade tool, I decided to bring my laptop up to speed, as well. Both machines dual boot with Windows 7 and were previously running 10.10.

I got 11.04 on the laptop and was pleased to see the desktop appear after I booted for the first time and logged in. I went to grab a cup of coffee and by the time I returned the HDD light was frozen on, the mouse pointer wouldn't move, keystrokes weren't recognized, and I couldn't switch to a text terminal. I tried logging in from a different machine on my LAN and was also unable to get a prompt via ssh.

I tried several different methods of booting and it was always the same. What really mystified me is that I got on and right away opened two remote windows with tail -f of /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog and found nothing unusual before it reliably crashed within 3 minutes.

Finally I did some really in depth monitoring of what was going on in my system from the text console upon booting and found that ubuntu one's syncd was grabbing all of the available processor time for one core (this is a dual core amd athalon II) and spiking the load average to over 20 before the system became completely unresponsive. I rebooted, killed the syncd before anything bogus happened, and my system has been stable since. I do have to repeat this any time I reboot, however.

Not sure if this is the same bug that everybody else is having with system hangs upon boot of 11.04, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'd be happy to forward logs or information to a bug report if somebody would tell me where to go for it.

Hope this helps out some others; more than anything I hope that it gets solved so that I don't have to kill -15 that syncd every time my system needs a reboot. :|

TIA

eyedeal
May 27th, 2011, 01:50 AM
FWIW, I've disabled Ubuntu One in the startup apps, and the system starts up faster, although I still have occasional hangs for unknown reasons.