PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 broke WMII

pimparello
May 17th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Hello guys,
i am looking for help. I have upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04. I have been using wmii as window manager under ubuntu for years. After the upgrade it's entirely broken.

The metakey is not working anymore, I cannot do anything. The key itself works fine in other environments so is's no hardware issue. After several attempts I completely uninstalled wmii, removed all relevant folders in home and /etc/X11 and reinstalled wmii from the ubuntu repositories.

This fresh install does not work. It starts a strange looking wmii without any key responding to my actions. I copied my old wmiirc to ~/.wmii. When i log in I see my individualized wmii but the metakey is not working and i cannot do anything, like opening a shell.

So, what can I do? Please help, I need to use wmii again, I am going crazy with gnome, fluxbox, etc...

Thx!

Edit: A change to "MODKEY=ALT" in wmiirc does not change anything.

wildmanne39
May 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Hello guys,
i am looking for help. I have upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04. I have been using wmii as window manager under ubuntu for years. After the upgrade it's entirely broken.

The metakey is not working anymore, I cannot do anything. The key itself works fine in other environments so is's no hardware issue. After several attempts I completely uninstalled wmii, removed all relevant folders in home and /etc/X11 and reinstalled wmii from the ubuntu repositories.

This fresh install does not work. It starts a strange looking wmii without any key responding to my actions. I copied my old wmiirc to ~/.wmii. When i log in I see my individualized wmii but the metakey is not working and i cannot do anything, like opening a shell.

So, what can I do? Please help, I need to use wmii again, I am going crazy with gnome, fluxbox, etc...

Thx!

Edit: A change to "MODKEY=ALT" in wmiirc does not change anything.

Hi, maybe this will help. Also look at the links in my signature below this text and you will learn a lot about customizing natty. Also this can be set as background so you will have the list of short cuts until you get use to them.

hpainter
May 28th, 2011, 01:47 AM
I'm in the same boat as the OP...wmii doesn't respond to any key combinations and I'm stumped on how to proceed.

Jinx-Wolf
June 13th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Ubuntu users are not alone! I am having similar issues with my Slackware 13.37. I just so happened to stumble upon this thread while researching the issues I'm having. Here's my thread from LinuxQuestions.org (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/wmii-slackware-13-37-a-885632/)

Some system info so we can compare:
ThinkPad x201
Core i5 540
GMA HD Graphics
Slackware 13.37
kernel 2.6.38.4-smp
2D driver: xf86-video-intel 2.15.0 release
3D driver: mesa 7.10.2 release
Libdrm: libdrm-2.4.25 release

Senesence
July 15th, 2011, 09:41 PM
As I'm sure you guys noticed, 11.04 comes with a more recent version of wmii (3.9), which is not compatible with your old 3.5 configuration files.

You can copy the "new-style" wmiirc in /etc/X11/wmii to ~/.wmii, and then edit that.

It's basically the same structure, with slightly different syntax in certain places, so it shouldn't be too difficult.