PDA

View Full Version : Anybody get their ipod to work in 11.04?

wolfen69
May 17th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I had my ipod touch working in ubuntu 10.10, but after doing a clean install of xubuntu 11.04, it won't even mount.

I have a thread started http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10828666#post10828666 if anyone can help.

nothingspecial
May 17th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Flippant answer.

Yep, you just have to install XP in a VM and then install iTunes.

Actual answer. My iPod classic, about 3 years old and my wife's nano 4G work absolutely fine. Neither have ever encountered Windows, osx or iTunes.

However, my two sons were bought different iPods by their grandfather for xmas, a Touch and whatever the latest nano is.

They do not work with linux and the solution in my first answer is the only one I have found.

Now, you have given me an excuse for a rant, thanks

1. I am not stupid, all of these iPods are presents which have been gratefully received.

2. With a linux only household, I would never ever never buy an Apple product. I don't dislike Apple products, it's just they don't work with my stuff. And I am not sufficiently impressed with their products to change what I have already to facilitate using their products.

3. If you spend up to £200 on a product, it should come with the software necessary to use it.

4. If Apple would like to sell me a product of their's in the future. They had better give my wife a computer and sit down with her and explain to her exactly how to use it, and get it to interact with their products.

Reason for rant:

Apparently, when you log on to your iTunes account, they charge you £1.59. They don't actually take it out of your account, but the transaction is registered never the less.

Yesterday I visited the garage (gas station) and filled my tank only to have my credit card refused. Very inconvenient, and probably costly when my next mobile/cell phone bill comes through. The reason it had been refused is that my son repeatedly browsed the iTunes app store for free stuff (the credit card is mine), and because I hardly use it, it was flagged as unusual behaviour.

I would like to tell them where they can stuff one of those pads.