PDA

View Full Version : I've been gone for a month... what did I miss?

Jucato
May 14th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Hi guys! I've been gone for a month (from March 29 till just a few days ago) due to a CPU problem (had to take the thing back to the shop where I bought it for repairs). During that time I had no access to any Linux box, and no easy access to the Internet either. Now that I have my PC up and running again (although still missing my NVIDIA video card), I'm trying to get up on my Linux feet again.

So what stuff did I miss while I was away? News, developments, controversies, issues on Linux, Ubuntu, KDE, GNOME? All I know is that Dapper will be released on June (June 1, AFAIK) and that the current version of KDE is 3.5.2. Other than that, I'm not quite updated. :D

Sef
May 14th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Dapper has been upgraded to Flight 7. It is even better and works great. Still can be some sound problems, but overall it is much improved.

MenZa
May 14th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Dapper has been upgraded to Flight 7

Beta 2 kplzthx :)

mostwanted
May 14th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Beta 2 kplzthx :)

Flight 7 is more recent than beta 2.

Kernel Sanders
May 14th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Hi guys! I've been gone for a month (from March 29 till just a few days ago) due to a CPU problem (had to take the thing back to the shop where I bought it for repairs). During that time I had no access to any Linux box, and no easy access to the Internet either. Now that I have my PC up and running again (although still missing my NVIDIA video card), I'm trying to get up on my Linux feet again.

So what stuff did I miss while I was away? News, developments, controversies, issues on Linux, Ubuntu, KDE, GNOME? All I know is that Dapper will be released on June (June 1, AFAIK) and that the current version of KDE is 3.5.2. Other than that, I'm not quite updated. :D

Well you missed:

1) 3 surprise versions of Ubuntu (We're now on "Sexy Salmon" - Dapper Drake was 3 versions ago......)

2) Carnocial's OEM deal will Dell to install Ubuntu as the default OS on all their Desktops/workstations/laptops from now on.

3) Microsoft's gone into administration

4) DRM has been declared illegal.

5) Now only 0.02% of the world uses IE.

6) Firefox has a 90% market share

7) Ubuntu is now so easy to use that even the noobest of noobs can run a server with it.

8 ) All the latest games are Linux compatable

9) OpenOffice is THE business Office Software, and used by all the fortune 500 companies.

10) WGA/Activation has been declared illegal

11) Microsoft announces Windows Vista's unpresidented 10th beta will ship on 1st March 2015

12) Steve Balmer has quit Microsoft to start up his own "excercise and healthy eating" company

13) Symantec and Mcafee has gone bust because everyone is now using Ubuntu or a Mac

14) Microsoft announces that more features will be dropped from Vista, and that more DRM and Activation protocalls will be introduced, breaking the reacent laws banning such draconian methods.

15) Microsoft announced Vista's full feature list of improvements over Windows XP:

---- New Transparent GUI
---- Boot and shutdown screens that display Windows Vista logo
---- IE7

16) Microsoft announces Vista will ship in only one version (Vista Ultimate), have the above features, and cost $500

17) Ubuntu remains free for all users

:p

Rackerz
May 14th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Well you missed:

1) 3 surprise versions of Ubuntu (We're now on "Sexy Salmon" - Dapper Drake was 3 versions ago......)

2) Carnocial's OEM deal will Dell to install Ubuntu as the default OS on all their Desktops/workstations/laptops from now on.

7) Ubuntu is now so easy to use that even the noobest of noobs can run a server with it.

9) OpenOffice is THE business Office Software, and used by all the fortune 500 companies.

Wow have we jumped ahead 10 years :-k ;)

Iandefor
May 14th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Wow have we jumped ahead 10 years :-k ;) more like 50... if RMS pulled a coup D'etat tomorrow.

Jucato
May 14th, 2006, 05:00 PM
@*John*: lol that really made my day! (or night :p) I was thinking that your list might have included Vista being delayed for another 5 years or so. :D

So Flight 7 is more updated than that Beta. But with just a few weeks till June, I guess I'll just wait for the official release?

Thanks for the info on the F7.

Hmm, anything else? :D
I'd be glad to do a Google search, except that "recent linux-related events since March 29, 2006" wouldn't really give me much would it? :D

Kernel Sanders
May 14th, 2006, 05:18 PM
@*John*: lol that really made my day! (or night :p) I was thinking that your list might have included Vista being delayed for another 5 years or so. :D

So Flight 7 is more updated than that Beta. But with just a few weeks till June, I guess I'll just wait for the official release?

Thanks for the info on the F7.

Hmm, anything else? :D
I'd be glad to do a Google search, except that "recent linux-related events since March 29, 2006" wouldn't really give me much would it? :D

:mrgreen:

Just for you, I added some more to the list :mrgreen:

Kernel Sanders
May 14th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Well you missed:

11) Microsoft announces Windows Vista's unpresidented 10th beta will ship on 1st March 2015

12) Steve Balmer has quit Microsoft to start up his own "excercise and healthy eating" company

13) Symantec and Mcafee has gone bust because everyone is now using Ubuntu or a Mac

14) Microsoft announces that more features will be dropped from Vista, and that more DRM and Activation protocalls will be introduced, breaking the reacent laws banning such draconian methods.

15) Microsoft announced Vista's full feature list of improvements over Windows XP:

---- New Transparent GUI
---- Boot and shutdown screens that display Windows Vista logo
---- IE7

16) Microsoft announces Vista will ship in only one version (Vista Ultimate), have the above features, and cost $500

17) Ubuntu remains free for all users

briancurtin
May 14th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Your search - "recent linux-related events since March 29, 2006" - did not match any documents.

Iandefor
May 14th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Would you like sensationalism and poor grammar with your update?

http://linux.slashdot.org/

MenZa
May 14th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Flight 7 is more recent than beta 2.

My bad :(

egon spengler
May 14th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Well just recently the failing of Linux was pinpointed as being offering users choice.