PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Sabayon (Gentoo based)

silex89
May 17th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I've been thinking for a while to install this distro, it looks very nice because Portage, it's package manager, downloads the source code and compiles everything.

What do you think about this distro?, is it worth?. Talk about your experiences and what not

Regards :)

kaldor
May 17th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Used it for a bit but got pretty ticked off at the community's attitude; I was called an idiot and told to "go back to Ubuntu" for asking a question at IRC, which I eventually did. I couldn't really get answers to questions I had, so I eventually gave up trying to fix stuff and settled on other distros.

silex89
May 17th, 2011, 10:14 PM
:O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!, I can't believe that!, too bad for them.... maybe that's why Ubuntu has quite a lot more users....

kaldor
May 17th, 2011, 11:29 PM
That's not to say Sabayon is a bad distro, though. If you want to go for it, it's great. But, do not at all be surprised at the elitist neckbeards of the Gentoo world.

krapp
May 17th, 2011, 11:33 PM
elitist neckbeards

Well they're nearly part of every distro, Ubuntu and Mint being the most prominent exceptions, so this shouldn't really stop you from trying Sabayon.

unknownPoster
May 18th, 2011, 05:20 PM
If your only reason for using Sabayon is to compile from source with Portage, just go ahead and try Gentoo.

kaldor
May 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Well they're nearly part of every distro, Ubuntu and Mint being the most prominent exceptions, so this shouldn't really stop you from trying Sabayon.

Yep, but getting help on their forums/IRC often goes nowhere, unlike these forums. I second the vote for Gentoo, though. No real need for Sabayon if you can get Gentoo up and running.

snowpine
May 18th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I test-drive Sabayon about once a year to see how they're doing. It is a glamorous and full-featured distribution, seems like one of the nicer KDE desktops out there. Personally I am a minimalist so I use CrunchBang as my main distro. :)

mips
May 18th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Sabayon is a very good distro, at least since I used it a few years ago. I loved it but moved over to Arch as I did not really see the point of their precompiled binary package system in the whole Gentoo scheme of things.

moore.bryan
May 18th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Really liked Sabayon for the time I tried it because it ran fairly quickly once I got everything setup. Updating took forever though and KDE hogged my machine at the time. Nice distro, though.

handy
May 19th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I used Sabayon as my prime system for many months, upgraded a couple of times, then Sabayon created a release that did not support my hardware anymore (which was the reason why I had to leave Ubuntu). Thankfully this is what caused me to find Arch, where I have lived very happily ever after. :D

sffvba[e0rt
May 20th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Very strange... I have tried Sabayon a few times and once I had issues updating the system... launched the IRC channel which was linked on the desktop and got quick friendly assistance with my issue... all and all it was a very positive experience.

If I ever decide to go for a rolling release Sabayon would be my number one choice...

wolfen69
May 20th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I tried the live cd which I thought was good, but after install, I didn't care for the package management much.

handy
May 20th, 2011, 01:42 AM
I tried the live cd which I thought was good, but after install, I didn't care for the package management much.

It was when they first started bringing in their "new" package management system that I got the very serious black screen of death, very early in the boot process.

The Sabayon forum (which was good back in those days) couldn't help me, & I couldn't be bothered waiting for a fix, so I moved on.