PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity Feedback

LinuxLars
May 17th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I'm trying to give Unity a fair shake. So far, I still prefer the older interface (although I can see that Unity would be better for a netbook).

Biggest issue is the launch bar - it only recedes if the main application doesn't take up the entire window. I believe it should work consistently - recede into the background when an application is launched, and then only pop back up when the mouse nears the left edge. I cannot tell you how many times I've inadvertently launched LibreWriter... (my topmost icon).

And it would probably be a great idea to have a properties for the Launch Bar (apologies if there is one - I haven't found it).

coffeecat
May 17th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Install compizconfig-settings-manager. Then, ccsm > Desktop > Unity Plugin. You've got four choices for hide launcher behaviour, and some launcher configuration options under the experimental tab. Personally, for the latter, I prefer the icon size smaller at about 34 on all my machines - netbook, laptop and desktop with 24" monitor.

LinuxLars
May 17th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Thank you coffeecat! Just what I was looking for. Much less annoying now ;-)

Buntu Bunny
August 20th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I don't want to flame the fires of the Unity/Gnome controversy, nor do I want to rehash what others have already said. However, after giving Unity a couple of fair tries, here are it's problems for me:

1 - Locked placement of panel. I wear bifocals. That means that for me, having everything toward the bottom of the screen is more comfortable to read. That's why I always move my panels, applications, and documents to the bottom, so I can see them without getting a crick in my neck. Having everything open up maximized doesn't help either.

2 - Search Bar. Actually I like this idea and see its usefulness. It's very handy for finding something I know I have, though the launcher and desktop shortcuts are faster to use. However, if I want to explore options, it's useless. For example, when I went to check out what games came with Ubuntu 12.04, here's what I got:

"g-a-m-e" showed 4 options. Adding an "s"

"g-a-m-e-s" only gave me solitaire.

All of the menu based DEs I tried list 18 games to choose from.

Makes me feel like Unity is hiding things from me. :p

3 - Minimized windows not shown on a panel. This frustrated me. I work with a lot of photos at a time and minimizing helps my work style. Where in the world do they go in Unity? The only solution I could find, was to spread the workspaces to find what I was looking for. Honestly? Too many steps.

I know there are solutions to these things, and I'd welcome knowing about them. Obviously I'm not a computer geek, master, or power user. I'm just a day to day plain Jane user who views her computer as a tool; nothing more, nothing less. Like other tools, I need it to meet my needs. Could I learn Unity? Sure. However, I have a very full and busy life apart from my computer; trying to conquer another learning curve is not at the top of my priority list.

I'm concerned about the direction Ubuntu will ultimately take with its DE. Personally I don't feel Unity is a step in the right direction. While I'm sad Gnome is gone and no longer supported, fortunately, there are other good options out there.

zombifier25
August 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM
3 - Minimized windows not shown on a panel. This frustrated me. I work with a lot of photos at a time and minimizing helps my work style. Where in the world do they go in Unity? The only solution I could find, was to spread the workspaces to find what I was looking for. Honestly? Too many steps.

I don't know why this is happening, but minimized windows are no different than normal windows on my comp, except for the obvious fact that they are... minimized. Maybe there's an error in your setup?

Buntu Bunny
August 20th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I don't know why this is happening, but minimized windows are no different than normal windows on my comp, except for the obvious fact that they are... minimized. Maybe there's an error in your setup?

Hmm. I installed 12.04 from a live CD onto a new computer, dual boot with Win7 (cuz I'm not that computer geek :p ). Not sure how to change it if it is an error, but I appreciate knowing that it isn't that way for you. I wonder if anyone else has it the way I do.

nothingspecial
August 20th, 2012, 01:21 PM
You can use unity like a menu to search for applications if you like.

Press Super-A then in the top right click filter results and you will get a list of things to click like the old style menu (Games, Internet, Office etc, etc)

You only have to click the filter results thing once and it will still be there when you open the applications lens next time.

coffeecat
August 20th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Old thread closed.

This thread was started when 11.04 was current. Unity in 12.04 has significant differences. Please start a new thread if you need support for Unity in 12.04.