PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downgrade / Restore Previous version

Ruben.cc
May 17th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I could not find anything using the keywords in the title. The amount of information on this forum is somewhat overwhelming, so I didn't really feel like manually browsing through all the topics in here. ;-)

I recently "upgraded" to the latest Ubuntu but I really regret it. I am new to Ubuntu and got pretty used to the menu's in the old version and where everything was to be found and now I have this horrible version of a bad "OS X Dock Clone" on my screen and my menu's are gone and every single program I start is (poorly) trying to imitate how Mac OS X puts everything in the same menu bar rather then letting every window have its own menu. I'm sure the developers knew what they were doing, but for me it's just not working.

To be short; I hate this new interface and even more the fact that I wasn't given a choice but this was just crammed up my throat like; "here it is, get used to it." Is there a way to "fall back", "downgrade" or "restore" the previous version without just having to install everything from scratch again? Luckily I still have the old ISO, but I would prefer to install that with the possibility to keep all my current documents where they are right now without the need for a complete backup-reinstall-restore situation.

TBABill
May 17th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Best you can do is reinstall. However, if you have a separate home partition (/home) then you can NOT format that partition and just reinstall the OS to root (/). That will preserve your documents but be very careful, and very sure, when you do it so you don't accidentally overwrite /home. If your /home is within the same partition as root, a full reinstall is all you can do. Just save all those files to USB or DVD and then reinstall. Or use Ubuntu One?? I never have, but maybe an option if you don't have too much to save.

potat
May 17th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Other options:

- Use Ubuntu Classic (for now)
- Install XFCE or KDE (or GNOME 3 if you like it)

Just know that GNOME 2 is dying, and the next version of Ubuntu will probably use Unity too. That doesn't mean the change is being crammed up your throat; Ubuntu works with any of the popular desktop environments. Unity is just the default.

Ruben.cc
May 25th, 2011, 06:27 AM
...Use Ubuntu Classic... ...Ubuntu works with any of the popular desktop environments...

Thank you very much! Being a noob with Ubuntu (or any Linux for that matter) I wasn't aware that there is a Classic environment to choose and that you can just use a totally other desktop environment if you want. I'm pretty happy with the Classic mode for now and I'll look into alternatives when needed.

Got another little annoyance with the current interface, but I think I'll better start a new thread about that.

Thanks again.