PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] apt package list problem - corrupted/lost apt package list file

damber
May 17th, 2011, 11:49 AM
It seems the last time I was in a wifi 'hotspot' zone, ubuntu decided to update package lists, and overwrote one of the package list files with the html response from the wifi proxy....

Which means this file:
/var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_restricte d_binary-amd64_Packages

..is now corrupted and unusable.

I have tried to clean and update:

apt-get check
apt-get clean
apt-get update

no joy.

Where can I download this file manually? Or is there a way to fix this automatically?

Cheers

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 06:50 PM
It seems the last time I was in a wifi 'hotspot' zone, ubuntu decided to update package lists, and overwrote one of the package list files with the html response from the wifi proxy....

Which means this file:
/var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_restricte d_binary-amd64_Packages

..is now corrupted and unusable.

I have tried to clean and update:

apt-get check
apt-get clean
apt-get update

no joy.

Where can I download this file manually? Or is there a way to fix this automatically?

Cheers

Hi, first open terminal type
sudo dpkg --configure -a then
sudo apt-get update and that should fix the problem.:D

damber
May 17th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the response.

Tried this, though unfortunately still no joy... Exact error message when running sudo apt-get update is:

Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_restricte d_binary-amd64_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Essentially this happened when the file was corrupted (contained the proxy web page html), when the file was missing (I deleted it) and with an empty file.

I've tried installing a VM with a fresh install of Ubuntu to get a copy of that file.. though it was empty, so I guess this way will require me to install a similar set of apps/etc to get a working file... which isn't very practical.

Any other suggestions? surely I should be able to rebuild this list somehow?

damber
May 17th, 2011, 10:14 PM
OK.. looks like I've fixed it.

Sigh... in my haste I missed that the error after I removed the erroneous file was for a different file... the names looked so similar at first glance that I thought they were the same.

So, the simple fix was to delete the erroneous files in /var/lib/apt/lists/ (it was actually most of the files in that directory), and run apt-get update. :-)

wildmanne39
May 18th, 2011, 07:57 AM
OK.. looks like I've fixed it.

Sigh... in my haste I missed that the error after I removed the erroneous file was for a different file... the names looked so similar at first glance that I thought they were the same.

So, the simple fix was to delete the erroneous files in /var/lib/apt/lists/ (it was actually most of the files in that directory), and run apt-get update. :-)
H, so your problem is resolved, would you please go to the top of the page and mark this thread solved be clicking on forum tools. Thank you so much.:D

damber
May 18th, 2011, 08:03 AM
oops, almost forgot!

Thanks

alroger
May 18th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Thank you for the tip.
I have no proxy, so don't know how it happened. I just got back from a weeks trip and it was like that.
I just remove everything in the lists dir and then the update started working again. Natty 64bits here.