PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Major glitch... need help.

Tehsimpl
May 17th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Hey there folks, the other day my PC killed my windows partition and i had no computer... so i decided to install Ubuntu 11. The problem is i never installed it and apparently its not a stable version. The bar at the top is glitched and i cannot click on any of the options. Is there a way of downgrading or installing a patch or if there is any way of fixing this as its getting very frustrating. I don't really like v11, and i am very much used to v10. My dad decided to take a risk and he defiantly failed. I have installed all the latest updates and stuff, but it still glitches out. Please help.

Thanks, Jacob Marshall.

Grenage
May 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Ahoy there,

Are you using Unity, or Ubuntu Classic (Gnome)? You can't downgrade, but I'm sure we can help you through the glitches you're having.

Tehsimpl
May 17th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Sheesh... i would not have a clue... i have a weird sidebar on the left if thats any help?
Its all very strange, idk all the new updates... :/

Offtopic: Your either up very late/early.

Copper Bezel
May 17th, 2011, 10:36 AM
No, he's not. It's 10 am in the UK. = )

You're using Unity. You can log out and select the "Classic" desktop in the Session menu that appears below the login window after you select your name. After, we can try to figure out what issue (probably related to the graphics card) is causing problems with the top panel in Unity, if you'd prefer to use the new interface.

Tehsimpl
May 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM
The problem is everytime i try to logout, i have to shut down because all the top bar options are not working... brb when i try what you are saying to me... soz for bringing up the time :P I used to live in england and i am always trying to work out what the time is :D (i failed)

EDIT: Wow, thanks, this is much more meeeeeee. Also, the bar has started working for now, but i know it will probably stop working randomly as it has before. Thanks for all your help guys... now go have a sleep :D

Grenage
May 17th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Indeed, nearly the middle of the day here!

Glad you got it sorted; if you do try Unity again and it's still glitchy, Copper's last sig link is a good place to start.