PDA

View Full Version : [PYTHON]What do I infer from % sign?

Ashish Gaurav
May 17th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Hi. I am a newbie to Python and CGI. As a newcomer I admire its simplicity. But as common, I am having a problem. What do we mean by % sign? I know its MODULUS but in some places it cannot be modulus!

See this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#!/usr/bin/python

# Import modules for CGI handling import cgi, cgitb
# Create instance of FieldStorage form = cgi.FieldStorage()
# Get data from fields
first_name = form.getvalue('first_name')
last_name = form.getvalue('last_name') print "Content-type:text/html\r\n\r\n"
print "<html>" print "<head>" print "<title>Hello - Second CGI Program</title>" print "</head>" print "<body>" print "<h2>Hello %s %s</h2>" % (first_name, last_name) print "</body>" print "</html>"
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here, why was %s %s written after Hello, and why, was first_name,last_name written afterward with % sign.
Can't seem to understand!

Actually this was in the CGI script.
Please help!(No office work, just my zeal!)
Thanks(I hope I have explained my query well)
:)

Tony Flury
May 17th, 2011, 09:00 AM
The %s is a string format code (rather like in sprintf in C)

http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#string-formatting

StephenF
May 17th, 2011, 11:39 AM
It has to do with a thing generally called operator overloading where a class can define what % does within the context of that class.

In Python % only does what it does because integer and float objects have % defined for them.

>>> int.__mod__
<slot wrapper '__mod__' of 'int' objects>

class A(object):
def __mod__(self, other):
print '''"It's just a flesh wound", said %s.''' % other

a = A()
a % "the black knight"

Prints: "It's just a flesh wound", said the black knight.

stchman
May 17th, 2011, 09:21 PM
They are called format specifiers. They are used in C and Java a lot.

Vox754
May 18th, 2011, 04:32 AM
It has to do with a thing generally called operator overloading where a class can define what % does within the context of that class.

In Python % only does what it does because integer and float objects have % defined for them.

>>> int.__mod__
<slot wrapper '__mod__' of 'int' objects>

class A(object):
def __mod__(self, other):
print '''"It's just a flesh wound", said %s.''' % other

a = A()
a % "the black knight"

Prints: "It's just a flesh wound", said the black knight.

You do realise your explanation is too complicated for a beginner?

ve4cib
May 18th, 2011, 09:45 AM
"%s" is just a placeholder for a variable you want to include in the string. Read the link Tony posted. It might help you out.

Dissecting your example a little bit...

"Hello %s %s" % (first_name, last_name)

We have two %s placeholders inside the string. When the % operator is applied to the string, each placeholder is replaced with the string value of the items in the tuple; the first "%s" gets replaced with the value of first_name, and the second "%s" gets replaced with the value of last_name.

So if I wrote in a python script

first_name = "John"
last_name = "Doe"
grade = "A+"
course = "Intro Computer Science"
print "The student named %s %s got a %s in %s" % (first_name, last_name, grade, course)

you would see this printed out:

The student named John Doe got a A+ in Intro Computer Science

The order you list the variables is important. Say I mixed up the order and instead had this in my python code:

print "The student named %s %s got a %s in %s" % (grade, course last_name, first_name)

you'd see:

The student named A+ Intro Computer Science got a Doe in John

which clearly does not make any sense at all. (I imagine John is very uncomfortable having a female deer inside him....)

Slightly aside, but a similar technique for implanting variables into a string is by using the string's .format function:

print "The student named {0} {1} got a {2} in {3}".format(first_name, last_name, grade, course)

would give you:

The student named John Doe got a A+ in Intro Computer Science

It's the same idea as the %s placeholders, only you can specify the order you want the arguments in, and can use the same place-holder in multiple places. Every instance of {0} will be replaced with the first argument, every instance of {1} will be replaced with the second argument, and so on. I find it a little cleaner and more intuitive, but I'm sure other people would prefer using %.

simeon87
May 18th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I find it a little cleaner and more intuitive, but I'm sure other people would prefer using %.

This is actually the future of string formatting in Python, see here (http://docs.python.org/release/3.0.1/whatsnew/3.0.html#changes-already-present-in-python-2-6) and here (http://docs.python.org/release/3.0.1/whatsnew/2.6.html#pep-3101). The % operator will eventually be deprecated.