PDA

View Full Version : Python Tutorial

ki4jgt
May 17th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Hey guys,
Just wrote a program I've been wanting to create for a long time. This program was setup for everyone interested in learning Python. Right now, all that I have is the introduction to the program, but I wanted to get your opinions before I continued. Run the file from the terminal to see the program in action. By no means have I got all the kinks worked out. I've just been at it during the last few minutes. Try it and tell me what you think.

P.S. It's called PySmash.

EDIT: For everyone who reads this thread, an up-to-date version can be found on my website http://www.smashindex.org on the Current projects tab.

Well, the new version exceeds the thread's limit. You'll have to download from site :-(

Last updated upload: May 20, 2011

NightwishFan
May 17th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Glad to see you finding your way around! I will check it out tomorrow I am about due for some rest.

murderslastcrow
May 17th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Haha, interesting idea. I like the idea, but it would be good to save a file in the future so that the user doesn't have to go through the first few pages of stuff if they don't want to.

I think it's great to compress some of the basic information to introduce people to programming into a program itself. The main issue is that you have a lot of spelling and punctuation errors (envirnment on line 110, CONGRADULATIONS on line 137, and several missing periods). I think using all caps may be a good idea for emphasis, as you have now, as long as it's not overused. Aside from those small issues, it worked pretty well for me- it'd be nice if there were some way to get it to act a bit more like the interpreter in the future, but all in all it's a good idea.

I'd definitely like to see a finished version as it could be a nice tool to refresh people on syntax and do problem-solving challenges. Heck, you could even have a timer to test people on how fast they can come up with a working solution (although that'd be kinda' hard to grade on anything but a sure A or F). Keep it up- I think it has potential.

ki4jgt
May 17th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Haha, interesting idea. I like the idea, but it would be good to save a file in the future so that the user doesn't have to go through the first few pages of stuff if they don't want to.

I think it's great to compress some of the basic information to introduce people to programming into a program itself. The main issue is that you have a lot of spelling and punctuation errors (envirnment on line 110, CONGRADULATIONS on line 137, and several missing periods). I think using all caps may be a good idea for emphasis, as you have now, as long as it's not overused. Aside from those small issues, it worked pretty well for me- it'd be nice if there were some way to get it to act a bit more like the interpreter in the future, but all in all it's a good idea.

I'd definitely like to see a finished version as it could be a nice tool to refresh people on syntax and do problem-solving challenges. Heck, you could even have a timer to test people on how fast they can come up with a working solution (although that'd be kinda' hard to grade on anything but a sure A or F). Keep it up- I think it has potential.

I actually though about having the user sign into the program so their place would be saved. Now that you mention it though, I may just do so. I initially intended it to be multiuser friendly.

Onoku
May 17th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Great idea, I am actually interested in learning python, so I may end up using your program. On the note of spelling and grammar errors, I would gladly read over it for you if you'd like and make corrections. I am a fairly decent editor and would be more than happy to help out.

ki4jgt
May 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Great idea, I am actually interested in learning python, so I may end up using your program. On the note of spelling and grammar errors, I would gladly read over it for you if you'd like and make corrections. I am a fairly decent editor and would be more than happy to help out.

That would be appreciated :-) I just ran it through Ubuntu's spell check and the only words it kept trying to correct were parts of the program's code and my internet address.

Onoku
May 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Not sure how all the programming and stuff works, but if you are able to slap it into a text file, I'll have a look at it.

ki4jgt
May 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Not sure how all the programming and stuff works, but if you are able to slap it into a text file, I'll have a look at it.

Have to get back to you. It's breakfast time here. You want me to what until I get lesson two finished first? It's about how the need for python came to be. I plan to go over some of it's history before people start learning about it. :-)

Onoku
May 17th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Have to get back to you. It's breakfast time here. You want me to what until I get lesson two finished first? It's about how the need for python came to be. I plan to go over some of it's history before people start learning about it. :-)

Yeah, that would probably be best. I'll send you a PM with my email. Whenever you have a lesson or two done, shoot em my way and I'll read over them.

ki4jgt
May 19th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Windows Compatibility has been fixed. Just make sure your system knows how to locate your python executable, or the program will not work.

ki4jgt
May 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM
New version available on site and about to be made available on thread which will tell you if you have the current version and then if you don't will ask you to update to current version.

RJ12
May 20th, 2011, 11:34 PM
You might want to add a shebang to the script to ("#!/usr/bin/env python" or "/usr/bin/python") to the top of the file. I had a hard time running this at first until I realized this was missing and added it my self... then again I guess I should have tried using "python PySmash.py" when the normal method didn't work

ki4jgt
May 21st, 2011, 04:19 AM
You might want to add a shebang to the script to ("#!/usr/bin/env python" or "/usr/bin/python") to the top of the file. I had a hard time running this at first until I realized this was missing and added it my self... then again I guess I should have tried using "python PySmash.py" when the normal method didn't work

Thanks. Totally forgot that one.

ki4jgt
May 21st, 2011, 05:21 AM

Would this interfere with the windows users of the script?