PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trying to install motherboard drivers

Dracolver
May 17th, 2011, 05:16 AM
I just finished my first project at building a computer. I got ubuntu installed, and everything seems to be working fine. I insert the cd for drivers on my motherboard and I can't figure out by which means I am to open run.exe. when I try with the archive manager I get an error message. When I try to double click it I get an error message stating that it cannot find the autorun software . I am completely new to Ubuntu and would appreciate any help in how to get my drivers installed as I'd really like audio :P Could this all possibly mean that my motherboard is incompatible with ubuntu? thank you!

Dracolver
May 17th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Ok, so basically to update, I overall don't know how to open anything on any cd using ubuntu. I popped in my video cards cd as well and when I double click on autorun.exe of any cd I get the message "this cd contains software intended to be automatically started. would you like to run it?". I click "run" and then I get the message "error autorunning software" and "cannot find the autorun program". I hope that narrows my problem more...

ezsit
May 17th, 2011, 07:19 AM
The driver CDs that came with your motherboard and video card are for Windows, they are useless under Linux. Do not try to install them (or go ahead and try, the drivers will NEVER install in Linux). Ubuntu autodetects and installs the correct drivers when you install the system, no further input necessary on your part. The restricted drivers tool in Ubuntu will notify you if there are other drivers available, otherwise, you are done. Unless you plan on running Windows on this hardware, toss the driver discs in the trash.

As for audio not working, did you try to turn the volume up. I believe, as a precaution, Ubuntu installs with the volume muted or set to the minimum level so as not to accidentally blast the speakers. Left-click on the speaker symbol near the clock in the upper right hand corner and unmute the sound.

When you insert a CD, Ubuntu normally just opens a file manager window (Nautilus is the name of the file manager) and you have access to your CDROMS. It's not that complicated. .EXE files are a Windows thing, Ubuntu has no use for them.

Dracolver
May 17th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Thank you for the reply. :D That is really cool that all the drivers are installed automatically. I unmuted the audio as well and have sound working which is awesome thank you for that tip. My next biggest issue though is that I lose part of the screen falling off of my monitor, mainly losing my task bar from view. I've tried adjusting the screen resolution though any smaller settings just enlarges icons and zooms-in more to another part of the desktop losing more of the screen. I have used both my panasonic plasma, and my sharp aquos tv's and have encountered problems for both. If I can figure out how to fix that I think I'll be an Ubuntu convert :P