PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failed to boot

hradford5
May 17th, 2011, 03:15 AM
I posted this in Absolute beginner, because that's what I am. But I haven't gotten a response, so I thought I'd try here.

I installed ubuntu 10.04 yesterday, everything went fine. I shut it down & restarted it a couple times to make sure everything was good.
Today I downloaded the EMC2 script & installed it using the terminal. After it was done I shutdown using reboot required. Now I am getting the errors

Failed to boot both default and fallback entries.

Press any key to continue...
error: couldn't read file.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I posted this in Absolute beginner, because that's what I am. But I haven't gotten a response, so I thought I'd try here.

I installed ubuntu 10.04 yesterday, everything went fine. I shut it down & restarted it a couple times to make sure everything was good.
Today I downloaded the EMC2 script & installed it using the terminal. After it was done I shutdown using reboot required. Now I am getting the errors

Failed to boot both default and fallback entries.

Press any key to continue...
error: couldn't read file.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Hi, I think I might can, tell me please what the file is suppose to do that you downloaded?:)

hradford5
May 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hi, I think I might can, tell me please what the file is suppose to do that you downloaded?:)

It is software to control CNC machines. It may actually be the problem, I tried burning the LiveCDs (Ubuntu 10.04 & Ubuntu 8.04) on the linuxcnc site but they would not install to the HD. So I tried a LiveCD from the Ubuntu repository, then downloaded the script.

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 05:32 PM
It is software to control CNC machines. It may actually be the problem, I tried burning the LiveCDs (Ubuntu 10.04 & Ubuntu 8.04) on the linuxcnc site but they would not install to the HD. So I tried a LiveCD from the Ubuntu repository, then downloaded the script.
Hi, I will see if I can get some more help for you.
Bump

boldford
December 19th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I've managed to install the 10.04 + EMC live CD OK however the Dell HW is sulky and doesn't seem to want to do graphics above 800 x 600.