PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Auto logout from Xsession using Xming

j123123
May 17th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I have one Ubuntu 11.04 PC and one WinXP PC, and I use Xming 6.9.0.31 with XDMCP to connect to Ubuntu. It is working fine without any problem, the only issue is: if I leave it idle(or backgroud processes) for 2 hours, the X session will auto log me out and kill all my build processes. I almost can't do any night build within Xming's Xsession. Can anyone here help me out? Thanks in advance.

By the way, I've disabled all screensaver related stuff, even tried delete /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver, no help.

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I have one Ubuntu 11.04 PC and one WinXP PC, and I use Xming 6.9.0.31 with XDMCP to connect to Ubuntu. It is working fine without any problem, the only issue is: if I leave it idle(or backgroud processes) for 2 hours, the X session will auto log me out and kill all my build processes. I almost can't do any night build within Xming's Xsession. Can anyone here help me out? Thanks in advance.

By the way, I've disabled all screensaver related stuff, even tried delete /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver, no help.
Hi, did you also go into power management while in the screensaver window?:D

j123123
May 17th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Hi, did you also go into power management while in the screensaver window?:D

I've set both Actions & Display to Never in Power Management Preferences's "On AC Power" tab, no help.

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I've set both Actions & Display to Never in Power Management Preferences's "On AC Power" tab, no help.
Hi, for some reason it is not saving your configuration setting is what it sounds like to me, I will look in my book and see if I can find an answer, but it makes it harder with natty not all the commands in my book that is only 2 years old work.:)

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 05:17 AM

Hi, this should work. Put this command in terminal.
gksu gedit /etc/hdparm.conf
under spin down check #spindown_time = 24, see what it is set at. If what you see is exactly what I have it should not put your hard drive to sleep, if the dollar sign is missing in front of spindown_time add it and that should stop the problem.:D

j123123
May 17th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Hi, this should work. Put this command in terminal.
gksu gedit /etc/hdparm.conf
under spin down check #spindown_time = 24, see what it is set at. If what you see is exactly what I have it should not put your hard drive to sleep, if the dollar sign is missing in front of spindown_time add it and that should stop the problem.:D

Here is what I saw in /etc/hdparm.conf:
# -S standby (spindown) timeout for the drive
#spindown_time = 24
# -u interrupt-unmask flag for the drive

Pls let me know what you want to modify.

BTW, the auto logout only happens to my Xming Xsession, the Ubuntu PC is still running(not in sleep/hibernation mode), I can still telnet to do anything, and the rest of background processes are still running.

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 10:11 AM
#spindown_time = 24

BTW, the auto logout only happens to my Xming Xsession, the Ubuntu PC is still running(not in sleep/hibernation mode), I can still telnet to do anything, and the rest of background processes are still running.
Hi, I am out of advice. Maybe some with more experience can help.

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 05:25 PM
#spindown_time = 24

Bump

j123123
May 18th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Up ..................