PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Run (Register) Mathematica 8

timopheym
May 16th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I'd install and activate programm Mathematica 8 on my ubuntu (10.04, Gnome 2.30.2).
But when i treid to run it, i get message about registration like this:
http://krasnyjugolok.ru/cant.png
The bug is, that I CAN'T press any button. And then i close the window programm cloasd too.
I treid press enter, space, double click... it does not work at all!
What is it? What can i do? Does any body know something about this trange thing?

psych787
July 8th, 2011, 04:17 AM
With a working installation, I produced the following configuration file. Try placing the following in ~/.Mathematica/FrontEnd/init.m - that should prevent the registration dialog from appearing at all.

SetOptions[$FrontEnd,
Current2DTool->"Select",
Default2DTool->"Select",
Current3DTool->"RotateView",
Default3DTool->"RotateView",
PrivateFrontEndOptions->{"LicensesAgreed"->{"8."}},
VersionsLaunched->{"8.0.1"},
PrivateFrontEndOptions->{"DialogSettings"->{
"DialogSettings" -> "None",
"WelcomeScreen" -> {
"ShowRecentFilesContextMenu" -> False, "DefaultSlideNumber" -> 5,
"CurrentSlideNumber" -> 5}},
"LastRegistrationReminderDate"->None,
"ShowAtStartup"->"NewDocument"}
]

--Technical Stuff--

I had the same problem described above. For no apparent reason, the registration dialog just started working. Possibly a reinstall helped, possibly not.

Also, Mathematica's tech support is *awesome*, and amazingly competent with linux tools including strace and gdb. They were extremely helpful, and gave me permission to post this. However, they did warn the workaround may not work on future versions of Mathematica.

NSim
November 10th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Hi,

I tried this solution and it overwrites the registration panel, but when mathematica starts , I am having the same problem, I cannot click, double-click, keyboard...nothing.The startup screen freezes like the registration panel Is there any solution to this?

Thanks

rewyllys
November 11th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Hi,

I tried this solution and it overwrites the registration panel, but when mathematica starts , I am having the same problem, I cannot click, double-click, keyboard...nothing.The startup screen freezes like the registration panel Is there any solution to this?

Thanks
I recommend that you contact Mathematica's Tech Support people. Explain the problem to them, and ask for their suggestions. As already mentioned in this thread, they are very helpful and knowledgeable.

titis
November 12th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I found the problem...is the license

If the license end with :10 the Registration Page will not respond any click

AIQ
August 4th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Hi,

Thanks
This is rather late, but I had the same problem. The configuration file provided above got me past the registration screen, but then I was stuck again. Substituting 8.0.1 -> 8.0.0 in VersionsLaunched got everything working.

astrobob.tk
October 14th, 2012, 07:52 PM
None of what I found online worked even this thread.

What did work though is installing Mathematica 7 (of course if you have the this version) then installing Mathematica 8.

This solved the problem & now it's working normally.

Hope this helps someone.