PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Broken GTK icons

arloth
May 16th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I recently upgraded to 11.04 from 10.10, and suddenly the majority of my icons are showing up as entirely blank, or white boxes with Xs in them. I've attached a screenshot so that you can see what's going on.

Upon uploading the screenshot it seems that Geeqie is also unable to view jpegs. It seems that most image support has suddenly been lost.. :-(

Has anybody seen this or knows what is going on?

gsmanners
May 16th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Have you tried changing the Icons in Settings / Appearance?

arloth
May 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Have you tried changing the Icons in Settings / Appearance?

Yes. Changing the icons doesn't seem to change anything. I've also attached a screenshot of Geeqie being unable to display any jpegs.

I've also noticed that if i run Synaptic - all of the installation status icons are missing, and I get lots of messages like "Warning, failed to load: package-availableUnrecognized image file format"

gsmanners
May 17th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Upgrading is a really rough path in Ubuntu, at times. How about this?

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -q /usr/share/icons/hicolor

or

sudo apt-get install hicolor-icon-theme

or maybe

rm -r ~/.local/share/icons/hicolor <-- be careful with this one

arloth
May 19th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Yeah, after some hunting I did try to remove/reinstall the icon themes, but with geeqie's trouble with images as well I figured it was some other image library that wasn't quite proper making it unable to render.

I snagged my home folder and re-installed. There are some other issues now, but they're fairly minor compared to images/icons not working. I didn't want to spend any more time trying to figure out exactly what went wrong.