PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Portable Rescue Help

Omadas
May 16th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Hello everyone here at the Ubuntu Forums! I have been useing Ubuntu for almost two years now, and while i am not thrilled with Unity, I am making the switch (and using the classic desktop, until Unity becomes customizable or Compiz Cube's workspace switcher for windows dragging is fixed... )

However, my problem is about something else entirely. I want to create a portable install of Ubuntu (Which I have done many ways before). This portable install must do a few things:

1. Persistence larger then 4gb
2. Be able to install Ubuntu from this install.

Methods I've tried:
1. Installing to my Portable HDD from the Live-CD
2. Installing 'Start-up Disk' to my Portable HDD
3. Trying both 1 and 2 at the same time (Doesn't work, boots into option 2 w/o giving me a grub loader.
2. Lili Live USB Creator.

What am I asking for then?
1. Is there a way o download the necessary utilities from an Ubuntu Portable HDD installed from a live-cd to install Ubuntu to other computers?
-or-
2. Is there a better way to go about this?

Why am I asking?
I have been working on creating a rescue drive from a 40gb external. This drive is partitioned with portable rescue apps and, hopefully, a portable Ubuntu with the rescue apps I want. (I don't care for rescatux or Ubuntu Rescue Remix)

Omadas
May 17th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Bump :)

Omadas
May 19th, 2011, 12:34 PM
After doing further research, I have installed ubiquity to my external. Will post the result shortly.

Omadas
May 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Just what I needed! Admin, please mark as closed/solved... :( I should've figured this out sooner :'(