PDA

View Full Version : iPad-like ereader for touchscreen

sean.leber
May 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Hi,
I've invested in a touchscreen and I don't feel like I'm making the most out of my money. What I'd ultimately love is the ability to read pdfs on the my touchscreen like an iPad. Something that I can touch the side of the screen and it will advance to the next page, can be read in the portrait mode, etc. If you've seen an iPad, you know what I'm talking about. I'm running 11.04 on a HP tm2t. Any advice would be great!

aysiu
May 16th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Hi,
I've invested in a touchscreen and I don't feel like I'm making the most out of my money. What I'd ultimately love is the ability to read pdfs on the my touchscreen like an iPad. Something that I can touch the side of the screen and it will advance to the next page, can be read in the portrait mode, etc. If you've seen an iPad, you know what I'm talking about. I'm running 11.04 on a HP tm2t. Any advice would be great!
Nook Color?

sean.leber
May 16th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I think that I'm being misunderstood. I have a kindle (and I had a nook before that, I recommend the kindle over the nook though, its much more responsive) What I want is an app that will read pdfs LIKE the iPad, with one touch page flipping (obviously designed with a touchscreen in mind). Its just a matter of time before someone programs it (though how much time is the question) I was wondering if something like that exists today that I can install on my hp tm2t.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

aysiu
May 16th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I think that I'm being misunderstood. I have a kindle (and I had a nook before that, I recommend the kindle over the nook though, its much more responsive) What I want is an app that will read pdfs LIKE the iPad, with one touch page flipping (obviously designed with a touchscreen in mind). Its just a matter of time before someone programs it (though how much time is the question) I was wondering if something like that exists today that I can install on my hp tm2t.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
The Nook Color is different from the Nook.

sean.leber
May 16th, 2011, 10:11 PM
i know the nook color is different, and I hear its immensely hackable too, big plus!! I have to say though, I value having an ereader that is e-ink, and I'd like to turn my tablet pc into a multipurpose ereader as well, i figure the color graphics and pdfs that get resized to the point of unreadable on a the nook or kindle will be well suited for my pimped out laptop. do you like the nook color? I'd love to know how it works as well as if you've been able to hack it. Again though, this post is looking for a PC BASED E-READER that is similar to the ereader that might be found on an iPad.

benc1213
May 17th, 2011, 01:08 AM
woot.com currently has an android tablet for only 80 dollars.

simpleblue
May 17th, 2011, 03:34 AM
i know the nook color is different, and I hear its immensely hackable too, big plus!! I have to say though, I value having an ereader that is e-ink, and I'd like to turn my tablet pc into a multipurpose ereader as well, i figure the color graphics and pdfs that get resized to the point of unreadable on a the nook or kindle will be well suited for my pimped out laptop. do you like the nook color? I'd love to know how it works as well as if you've been able to hack it. Again though, this post is looking for a PC BASED E-READER that is similar to the ereader that might be found on an iPad.
The issue is that most Linux programs have not been made to work great with touch screen devices. Perhaps some will at best work 'okay' but they are not even close to being as 'finger friendly' as an Ipad or Android device, which are heaven for the fingers.

I don't know how many people you'll get to help you because I don't think many people here use touchscreens devices with Linux and if they run anything like Windows 7 does with touch (horrible) then I could understand why. I could only recommend you downloading a bunch of programs in the software center and trying them out and seeing for yourself.

If you are like me and you love being able to poke at the screen and move stuff around by touch and could do without the keyboard then I would advise you to look into a touch optimised device like Android. I was going to buy a touch notepad until I did my research and found it had very little benefits on Windows and LInux at present.