PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Secrets - New Stuff?

Lucradia
May 16th, 2011, 03:59 PM
http://www.withinwindows.com/2011/04/12/windows-8-secrets-news-from-around-the-web/

Windows 8 will come with its own Virtual ISO Mount System? Always wanted that built-in.

Windows 8 is now copying apple / ubuntu with the Windows Marketplace :V

Step-By-Step install? lol, little late to the party?

Ribbon UI is now on explorer: http://www.withinwindows.com/2011/04/02/windows-8-secrets-windows-explorer-ribbon/

New welcome screen: http://www.withinwindows.com/2011/04/01/windows-8-secrets-welcome-screen/

And a built-in PDF Reader: http://www.withinwindows.com/2011/04/04/windows-8-secrets-modern-reader/

Not sure how much of this is new to you people.

krapp
May 16th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Wait so the ribbon turned out to be a good idea in Word?

Quadunit404
May 16th, 2011, 04:04 PM
And it still has the BSOD, right?

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2011/04/04/technology/windows_8/windows_8_black_screen.jc.top.jpg
Wait... what IS that?! That's not the BSOD! Who are you and what have you done with the BSOD? :frown:

screaminj3sus
May 16th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Wait so the ribbon turned out to be a good idea in Word?

I love the ribbon in word, not so sure about it in explorer though.

kaldor
May 16th, 2011, 04:24 PM
MS Office 2007 ribbon sucked. But, with the refinements and changes in Office 2010 and 2011, it's excellent. It's a good direction to take since it makes things so much clearer than searching through text menus.

Edit: I haven't used Windows extensively since before Vista. They honestly don't have a preinstalled PDF viewer? I'm actually pretty surprised, considering how standard PDF is.

Oxwivi
May 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
And it still has the BSOD, right?

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2011/04/04/technology/windows_8/windows_8_black_screen.jc.top.jpg
Wait... what IS that?! That's not the BSOD! Who are you and what have you done with the BSOD? :frown:
It is B(lack)SOD.

leviathan8
May 16th, 2011, 04:33 PM
That login screen is horrible.
'Press CTRL + ALT + DEL' to login... are we going back to XP days or what?

matthewbpt
May 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM
--snip
Windows 8 will come with its own Virtual ISO Mount System? Always wanted that built-in.

--snip

We've got that built in too

sudo mount -o loop /path/to.iso /mount/point

kabloink
May 16th, 2011, 04:48 PM

It's the standard login for Windows servers. Likely it will be made prettier for the desktop versions before release.

Lucradia
May 16th, 2011, 05:16 PM
It's the standard login for Windows servers and Professional editions (WinKey+L Locking the Screen asks for CTRL+ALT+DEL)

Fixed for you.

It is B(lack)SOD.

I remember the days of Windows 98 and 95. "It is now safe to turn off your computer."

But Windows has it via GUI :V

Oxwivi
May 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM
There is an appindicator available for GUI mount. And I think there was a right-click context menu option as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Lucradia
May 16th, 2011, 05:27 PM
There is an appindicator available for GUI mount. And I think there was a right-click context menu option as well, if I'm not mistaken.

The appindicator for mount is for devices currently attached / mounted. Meaning, if you unmount the ISO, it probably won't appear in the appindicator, and you'd have to go back to the terminal. So is the one for cairo dock, AWN, etc.

kabloink
May 16th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Fixed for you.

I stand corrected.

3Miro
May 16th, 2011, 05:36 PM

My teacher several years ago said that the Ctr+Alt+Del for login was a security feature. It somehow blocked key-loggers, I think it left only the bare kernel running.

rigel4
May 16th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I'm a windows technician by day!
Windows sucks .........no buts
doesn’t matter what blanket they try
and cover it with.

Linux for the people :D

Lucradia
May 16th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Windows 7 can do CTRL+ALT+DEL to login as well:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/enable-ctrl-alt-del-log-window-windows-7/9742-1_53-50079775.html

What it does, is, it blocks malware from acquiring your username.

aaaantoine
May 16th, 2011, 05:44 PM
The first time I saw "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to log in", probably almost a decade ago, I laughed out loud. I thought it was some goofy script kiddie hack trying to fool people into restarting their computer.

wolfen69
May 16th, 2011, 05:59 PM

Gmountiso is a good gui based iso mounter.

mdshann
May 16th, 2011, 06:00 PM

uuuhhhh.... no. That is used when you are on a computer that is a part of a domain. It is a security feature. It can also be enabled if you turn off the welcome screen and fast user switching.

Quadunit404
May 17th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I remember the days of Windows 98 and 95. "It is now safe to turn off your computer."

I remember seeing that message as well :D Ah, memories... I've never seen a computer as responsive as the old (possibly scrapped) Win95 computer I had until I got my current one (about 15 years later)

And I do agree that login screen looks horrible, at least design-wise. I'm hoping Microsoft will implement more customization for the login screen than just changing the background (a la Windows 7) in Windows 8. There's no way I'm using THAT login screen.

tgm4883
May 17th, 2011, 03:17 AM

Gmountiso is a good gui based iso mounter.

I'm confused, do you guys not just right click and open with "Archive Mounter"? I've used this for years as it's been included in default Ubuntu installs for quite some time now.

neu5eeCh
May 17th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Does MS have a patent on the "ribbon" interface?

I seem to remember some users considering the ribbon for Libre-Office, but I also remember reading the MS was allowing anyone to use the ribbon interface as long as it wasn't a competing-product-that-maybe-just-happened-to-do-word-processing-and-whose-name-included-the-words-"open"-or-"libre". But other than that, have fun...

Bandit
May 17th, 2011, 03:29 AM
CTRL + ALT + DEL is stil the standard for network logins.

user1397
May 17th, 2011, 04:01 AM
I'm confused, do you guys not just right click and open with "Archive Mounter"? I've used this for years as it's been included in default Ubuntu installs for quite some time now.
Well with archive mounter you can look at and/or extract an image, but if you just want to mount an image you have to use another method, such as the awesome program furiusISO mount
sudo apt-get install furiusisomount or the one mentioned before, or there's always the terminal command.

JustinR
May 17th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I also heard that Windows 8 will allow you to install Windows 8 on a flash drive, making it portable and able to boot it up on any computer you plug the flash drive in - which sounds cool.

screaminj3sus
May 17th, 2011, 04:12 AM
MS Office 2007 ribbon sucked. But, with the refinements and changes in Office 2010 and 2011, it's excellent. It's a good direction to take since it makes things so much clearer than searching through text menus.

Edit: I haven't used Windows extensively since before Vista. They honestly don't have a preinstalled PDF viewer? I'm actually pretty surprised, considering how standard PDF is.

They've been very slow adding certain things out of the box, probably because of all the anti-trust stuff.

Lucradia
May 17th, 2011, 01:38 PM

A.) That's not mounting.

B.) "Archive Mounter"? You mean file-roller? I use X-Archiver and remove file-roller and all of its stuff. (and then install p7zip-full, unrar, etc.)

Thewhistlingwind
May 17th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I also heard that Windows 8 will allow you to install Windows 8 on a flash drive, making it portable and able to boot it up on any computer you plug the flash drive in - which sounds cool.

If you can't beat em.........

tgm4883
May 17th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Well with archive mounter you can look at and/or extract an image, but if you just want to mount an image you have to use another method, such as the awesome program furiusISO mount
sudo apt-get install furiusisomount or the one mentioned before, or there's always the terminal command.

No, it really is mounted, you just have to know where to look (/home/<USER>/.gvfs/)

A.) That's not mounting.

Yes it is, but I see you think I'm talking about something else.

B.) "Archive Mounter"? You mean file-roller? I use X-Archiver and remove file-roller and all of its stuff. (and then install p7zip-full, unrar, etc.)

No, I mean "Archive Mounter". I've attached 3 images. The first (archive-mounter.png) shows the option in the right click menu. The second (mounted-iso.jpg) shows the ISO after mounting it using Archive Mounter. The third (mount-location.png) shows the path that the ISO is mounted at.

As I've said before, this is installed by default. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Oxwivi
May 17th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Can I use the screen shots to spread this knowledge on Ask Ubuntu?

tgm4883
May 17th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Can I use the screen shots to spread this knowledge on Ask Ubuntu?

sure

Oxwivi
May 17th, 2011, 06:51 PM
sure
A~nd done (http://askubuntu.com/questions/43469/how-can-i-graphically-mount-isos)!

alaukikyo
May 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM

or right click and click select open with archive mounter .

alaukikyo
May 17th, 2011, 07:17 PM
No, I mean "Archive Mounter". I've attached 3 images. The first (archive-mounter.png) shows the option in the right click menu. The second (mounted-iso.jpg) shows the ISO after mounting it using Archive Mounter. The third (mount-location.png) shows the path that the ISO is mounted at.

As I've said before, this is installed by default. Please let me know if you have any questions.

it is a shame people don't know this .
it is mostly because so many people prefer terminal over GUI and don't know a thing about GUI and then whine about how windows has gui for everything and ubuntu is not user-friendly :facepalm

tgm4883
May 17th, 2011, 07:20 PM
A~nd done (http://askubuntu.com/questions/43469/how-can-i-graphically-mount-isos)!

Hmm, I need 4 more reputation before I can vote up :(

BrokenKingpin
May 17th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I still don't like the ribbon menus.

forrestcupp
May 17th, 2011, 09:56 PM

Windows Marketplace has been around forever. I don't have a source, but I'm sure it was around before Ubuntu's market place.

tgm4883
May 17th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Windows Marketplace has been around forever. I don't have a source, but I'm sure it was around before Ubuntu's market place.

The basic concept of it has been around for quite a long time (repositories). It's the main way for getting software in Linux. As for the Windows marketplace, Feb 16th, 2009
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/4639978/Mobile-World-Congress-Microsoft-launches-Windows-Marketplace-to-compete-with-Apple-iPhone.html

heartbeatz
May 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
http://www.withinwindows.com/2011/04/12/windows-8-secrets-news-from-around-the-web/

;) Another OS X feature that Windows are following.

el_koraco
May 17th, 2011, 10:26 PM
No, I mean "Archive Mounter".

Not just that, but any iso you download gets mounted immediately. I guess these guys have been doing it the hard way for so long, they forgot to try the easy things. Ubuntu - dumbing down Linux before your very eyes!

Giant Speck
May 17th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I wish Windows could be a lot more Metro. I love Metro UI concepts.

Lucradia
May 18th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Not just that, but any iso you download gets mounted immediately. I guess these guys have been doing it the hard way for so long, they forgot to try the easy things. Ubuntu - dumbing down Linux before your very eyes!

I downloaded an ISO on Ubuntu, and it never got mounted. When I right-clicked it, no "Archive Mounter" was present. But this was in 10.04 and earlier.

el_koraco
May 18th, 2011, 12:27 AM
can't remember if it was there in 10.04. it definitively was in 10.10.

tgm4883
May 18th, 2011, 12:29 AM

I've not seen it get mounted automatically. It does when you double click on it though.

Lucradia
May 18th, 2011, 12:29 AM
can't remember if it was there in 10.04. it definitively was in 10.10.

I use Xubuntu / Debian since 10.10 released, so I didn't really know about it.

el_koraco
May 18th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I've not seen it get mounted automatically. It does when you double click on it though.

Maybe I clicked some obscure option in gconf by accident?

tgm4883
May 18th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Maybe I clicked some obscure option in gconf by accident?

I doubt that would be a gconf options. I'm betting you somehow got it to 'run' either All Downloads automatically, or downloads of extension .iso.

forrestcupp
May 18th, 2011, 03:16 AM
The basic concept of it has been around for quite a long time (repositories). It's the main way for getting software in Linux. As for the Windows marketplace, Feb 16th, 2009

True, but technically, download.com is a repository for Windows software (among others). It's been around since 1996.

Dustin2128
May 18th, 2011, 03:53 AM

I seem to remember some users considering the ribbon for Libre-Office, but I also remember reading the MS was allowing anyone to use the ribbon interface as long as it wasn't a competing-product-that-maybe-just-happened-to-do-word-processing-and-whose-name-included-the-words-"open"-or-"libre". But other than that, have fun...
I doubt it, bluefish has had a ribbon interface for a long time- before MSO I think. Anyway, yeah, windows 8, I care about as much as I did 7.

Cfhs_1
May 18th, 2011, 04:06 AM
They should just rename it Windows: linux edition, adapt the rest of our features and give it away for free... oh, but wait, then they wouldn't be able to make huge profits by charging outrageous prices for an OS. lol. ;)

tgm4883
May 18th, 2011, 05:33 AM
True, but technically, download.com is a repository for Windows software (among others). It's been around since 1996.

I'm not aware of a user interface in Windows (not a web browser) that you can use to search for and download things from download.com

slooksterpsv
May 18th, 2011, 06:02 AM
A few things about Windows 8/Microsoft I want to say:

1. Virtual ISO Mounting was what made some of the products out there great such as MagicISO, SlySoft, etc. So those companies now have to feat something better in order to keep their business going. Could this be a monopoly lawsuit?

2. New Login Screen - please Linux can change as often as you'd like, you can skin it, change it, etc. Heck even with Stardock software you can make your own.

3. Integrated PDF Viewer - That's going to be bad for Adobe. Granted I use Foxit personally on Windows (works better), but there's two companies that are going to feel a bit of the heat with Windows 8 getting native PDF Viewing. Anyone see a monopoly lawsuit again?

4. Explorer Ribbon interface - I wonder if the Terms and Conditions are going to change for Ribbon development now stating you can't build competing products like an Office suite that use the ribbon or a File Explorer that uses the ribbon interface?

5. App Store - Sorry Ubuntu had this one first for the desktop computers. Ubuntu Software Center is and was the first. Not Apple and not Microsoft - Ubuntu!

That's just my thoughts.

alaukikyo
May 18th, 2011, 06:27 AM

1. Virtual ISO Mounting was what made some of the products out there great such as MagicISO, SlySoft, etc. So those companies now have to feat something better in order to keep their business going. Could this be a monopoly lawsuit?

2. New Login Screen - please Linux can change as often as you'd like, you can skin it, change it, etc. Heck even with Stardock software you can make your own.

3. Integrated PDF Viewer - That's going to be bad for Adobe. Granted I use Foxit personally on Windows (works better), but there's two companies that are going to feel a bit of the heat with Windows 8 getting native PDF Viewing. Anyone see a monopoly lawsuit again?

4. Explorer Ribbon interface - I wonder if the Terms and Conditions are going to change for Ribbon development now stating you can't build competing products like an Office suite that use the ribbon or a File Explorer that uses the ribbon interface?

5. App Store - Sorry Ubuntu had this one first for the desktop computers. Ubuntu Software Center is and was the first. Not Apple and not Microsoft - Ubuntu!

That's just my thoughts.

ubuntu had each of that (except ribbon ) first !

alaukikyo
May 18th, 2011, 06:32 AM

i would personally prefer this
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/016/f/7/libre_office_mockup_2_unity_by_usrnametaken-d37byef.png

Muffinabus
May 18th, 2011, 06:45 AM

Not entirely sure, but wouldn't those companies having to "feat something better" be them competing, and couldn't competing be construed as competition, and isn't competition one of the ideas that are absent in a monopoly?

Not a business major or anything, just a thought.

tgm4883
May 18th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Not entirely sure, but wouldn't those companies having to "feat something better" be them competing, and couldn't competing be construed as competition, and isn't competition one of the ideas that are absent in a monopoly?

Not a business major or anything, just a thought.

He's talking about the other lawsuits that MS has had in the past regarding including certain pieces of their own software in order to kill other businesses.

slooksterpsv
May 18th, 2011, 07:10 AM
He's talking about the other lawsuits that MS has had in the past regarding including certain pieces of their own software in order to kill other businesses.

Yeah Web Browser comes to mind. Internet Explorer lawsuit. I'm just thinking there are tons of ISO Mounting programs out there, I've used like 5, 2 which were free the others just trials. It seems like that was one of the main key features to getting that program was the mounting of ISO files you had ripped.

Same with the PDF, something tells me that won't bode well with adobe either.

Lucradia
May 18th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Same with the PDF, something tells me that won't bode well with adobe either.

I sense a disturbance in the balance of power. IE: Adobe might go and open source their PDF Reader just to show Microsoft who's the real boss around here.

Forcing the hand is what Microsoft does best.

Giant Speck
May 18th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Adobe might go and open source
Ahahahahahaha

forrestcupp
May 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I'm not aware of a user interface in Windows (not a web browser) that you can use to search for and download things from download.com

apt-get, aptitude, Synaptic, Ubuntu Software Center, etc., are not repositories. They are ways to access a repository. A repository is a central location storing a lot of software. That's what download.com is, a repository. You have to actually host your software on their servers to have it available there. Their means of accessing their repository just happens to be a web browser.

Thewhistlingwind
May 18th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Adobe might go and open source

You'd think that might happen, until you remember that it's adobe. So I'll just echo:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *Starts rolling on the floor*

Lucradia
May 18th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I can always dream. ;)

tgm4883
May 18th, 2011, 04:12 PM
apt-get, aptitude, Synaptic, Ubuntu Software Center, etc., are not repositories. They are ways to access a repository. A repository is a central location storing a lot of software. That's what download.com is, a repository. You have to actually host your software on their servers to have it available there. Their means of accessing their repository just happens to be a web browser.

True, yet I think you miss the point entirely. I mean, at that point the Internet is a repository.

Windows Marketplace is what the user accesses on a Windows machine. From this perspective it is the same as synaptic and ubuntu software center.

slooksterpsv
May 18th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Ubuntu Software Center being the prime one as it featured "New" apps and "Featured" apps as well as the ability to purchase apps. Is M$ getting a cut for selling Apps through its app store? Same q? for Apple? Same q? for Ubuntu (I doubt it, but still valid q?)

tgm4883
May 18th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Ubuntu Software Center being the prime one as it featured "New" apps and "Featured" apps as well as the ability to purchase apps. Is M$ getting a cut for selling Apps through its app store? Same q? for Apple? Same q? for Ubuntu (I doubt it, but still valid q?)

On the contrary, I bet Canonical does take a cut from the Ubuntu Software Center

Lucradia
May 18th, 2011, 04:53 PM

On the contrary, I bet Canonical does take a cut from the Ubuntu Software Center

This depends on the owner of the store, as it is with a retail store in person. If the owner requires you to pay them to showcase your software, then yes. This usually is shown to you before you add your software to said store.

xxhopingtearsxx
May 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I hear that Windows 8 is coming out with FOUR versions..

I'm so sick of this. They know people can't afford a Mac and the average user doesn't want to waste time with Linux, so they will just make several expensive versions. They're all very similar. They say "We give you versions that is right for you!". I understand a Windows Starter version (although it's time to start abandoning people with old or slow computers because they're keeping everyone back) but Professional, Ultimate.. really? The highest version is right for you. No one's going to say "Hmm, I'm going with Windows 7 Professional. Ultimate is too big for me" They're going to say "Can't afford Ultimate".

xxhopingtearsxx
May 18th, 2011, 05:13 PM

Step-By-Step install? lol, little late to the party?

Ribbon UI is now on explorer: http://www.withinwindows.com/2011/04/02/windows-8-secrets-windows-explorer-ribbon/

New welcome screen: http://www.withinwindows.com/2011/04/01/windows-8-secrets-welcome-screen/

And a built-in PDF Reader: http://www.withinwindows.com/2011/04/04/windows-8-secrets-modern-reader/

Not sure how much of this is new to you people.

They're probably copying Mac, but I doubt they're copying Ubuntu. Ubuntu copied Apple or just happened to think of something similar. I really don't think that Microsoft would pay attention to Ubuntu.

ISO mounting? It took them THIS long to get one?

PDF READER? Took them THIS long to get one?
Windows is very slow to changes. It's very annoying.
As long as Windows 8 is abandoning older users, then I'd be fine. No point in waiting for those with 2005 computers to upgrade.

forrestcupp
May 18th, 2011, 06:14 PM
True, yet I think you miss the point entirely. I mean, at that point the Internet is a repository.

Windows Marketplace is what the user accesses on a Windows machine. From this perspective it is the same as synaptic and ubuntu software center.Yeah, but it is accessed through a browser. So according to your reasoning, you shouldn't really compare it and say that they're ripping off Apple and Linux. They're just doing what's been done for Windows in other places for years.

Part of the reason for that is that they're releasing versions for ARM chips. Those versions won't be backward compatible; they will be a new thing.

Merk42
May 18th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Windows available in multiple versions to suit your needs = bad
Ubuntu available in multiple versions to suit your needs = good

okay then

Giant Speck
May 18th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Windows available in multiple versions to suit your needs = bad
Ubuntu available in multiple versions to suit your needs = good

okay then
Well, duh. Because Microsoft is evil and Windows is bad.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to go back to fixing my Ubuntu Demonic Christian Atheist Edition for Dell Netbooks owned by people in Alaska. The version with the GREEN wallpaper.

disabledaccount
May 18th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Well, duh. Because Microsoft is evil and Windows is bad.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to go back to fixing my Ubuntu Demonic Christian Atheist Edition for Dell Netbooks owned by people in Alaska. The version with the GREEN wallpaper....Because MS started to spy users like Sony (but more efficiently), because w7 is sloooooow unless You buy SSD and have at least 3-4GB RAM. Dell notebooks? You must be kidding - Dell nbotebooks are unusable (for proffesionals - like me) unless You wipe their crappy "Dell recovery partition" and install "normal" Windows without terribly crappy McAffee - then You'll have pure working system.
So... is MS bad? NO - they just purchase crappy "pre-installed" Win which has to be replaced (buy another copy) to get usable computer... old trick.

Lucradia
May 18th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Windows 7 already has more than four versions :V

Starter, Home, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate.

madjr
May 18th, 2011, 09:17 PM
i hate the ribbon UI, i think is just a waste of vertical space, even more in explorer...

this new idea for gnome3 seems better IMO:

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_1QSDkzYY2vc/TdFlT_A0vxI/AAAAAAAAEco/lWRn14SImeo/mockups%20menu-experiments%20eog-menu-experiments.png

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/gnome-3-menu-mockups.html

christoph411
May 18th, 2011, 10:10 PM
i hate the ribbon UI, i think is just a waste of vertical space, even more in explorer...

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_1QSDkzYY2vc/TdFlT_A0vxI/AAAAAAAAEco/lWRn14SImeo/mockups%20menu-experiments%20eog-menu-experiments.png

This is better than the disappearing global menu. I want! :D

szymon_g
May 19th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Dell notebooks? You must be kidding - Dell nbotebooks are unusable (for proffesionals - like me) unless You wipe their crappy "Dell recovery partition" and install "normal" Windows without terribly crappy McAffee - then You'll have pure working system.

ah, it's microsofts fault that OEMs are adding additional applications...

So... is MS bad? NO - they just purchase crappy "pre-installed" Win which has to be replaced (buy another copy) to get usable computer... old trick.

BS

slooksterpsv
May 19th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Ahhh I just see it now:

Ubuntu -

Intel x86-
sudo apt-get install gedit - :D

AMD x86_64-

ARM -

------------

Windows 8 x86-
Install WinAmp - :D

Windows 8 x86_64-
Install WinAmp - :) - ( :) cause of compatibility issues)

Windows 8 ARM-
Install WinAMP - :( :confused: - Fail!

-------------

How many people do you think will migrate over their stuff to an ARM Arch unless the tools allow it to be done very easily?

xxhopingtearsxx
May 19th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I can say this..

Windows 8 obviously looks better than any Linux distro I've seen, and honestly, that's all I need.

Lucradia
May 19th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I can say this..

Windows 8 obviously looks better than any Linux distro I've seen, and honestly, that's all I need.

I have a feeling it'll be 50~100 USD more for each edition than Windows 7 is now. Windows 7 still has yet to get a price drop, even though Windows 8 Support starts next year.

Thewhistlingwind
May 19th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Windows 8 obviously looks better than any Linux distro I've seen

Not here. Not even close.

slooksterpsv
May 19th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I have a feeling it'll be 50~100 USD more for each edition than Windows 7 is now. Windows 7 still has yet to get a price drop, even though Windows 8 Support starts next year.

Vista still costs the same as Windows 7, Microsoft doesn't drop the price of their OSes. When Windows 2000 came out we went to a Staples and they were selling Windows 95 for the same price as it and Windows 98.

Lucradia
May 19th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Vista still costs the same as Windows 7, Microsoft doesn't drop the price of their OSes. When Windows 2000 came out we went to a Staples and they were selling Windows 95 for the same price as it and Windows 98.

The price for XP actually dropped in stores like Wal-Mart right before Windows 7 came out.

kabloink
May 19th, 2011, 04:33 AM

Unless your a student with an edu email address. They dropped Windows 7 professional back down to $29.95.

Legendary_Bibo
May 19th, 2011, 04:35 AM

I was under the impression that I just had to do a single click on the iso and it mounts. No right click and going through a menu, just a single left button mouse click. On Windows I used the Virtual Clone Drive application and it was pretty much the same thing. It's nice not to have to install another application for each and every little task.

Legendary_Bibo
May 19th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Unless your a student with an edu email address. They dropped Windows 7 professional back down to $29.95.

Mine is the OEM Win7 Pro disc. I got it for free.

Bapun007
May 19th, 2011, 04:47 AM
what ever ms does , i am not going to use their windows , i am a linux user afterall .

jamesjenner
May 19th, 2011, 05:24 AM

Doubt it, as long as MS hasn't gone to said companies and tried to buy/partner and then decided to build the same. End of the day you can argue that mounting an ISO is a logical part of the OS so no reason why you shouldn't be able to have it as a part of the OS. Personally I never agreed with the result that MS had to remove IE or make it removable (and so on) from the OS. End of the day, a web based browser for your OS is entirely logical, in essence it's just a shell, and as such needs to be integrated. But I digress.

New Login Screen - please Linux can change as often as you'd like, you can skin it, change it, etc. Heck even with Stardock software you can make your own.

Speaking (typing?) as an old Unix user who has dabbled with Linux on and off over the years and only recently migrated to Ubuntu, I have to say BS. It's a pain in the *** to change the login screen. I've seen oh so beautiful shots of login screens that have been changed to arts of work yet try as a person newish to Ubuntu to find out how to do same? Changing the login screen for Ubuntu is not something that is accessible to the average non technical person, difficult for a person who is technical but not familiar with the world of Ubuntu. I don't even want to think about how much time I've spent just to get fancy widgets on the desktop, desklets, yahoo widgets, google widgets, conky. Man it's such a mess.

What do you mean? Terms and conditions for the MS SDK? I'm not a MS developer, but I've never read about any T&C's that limit conditions for where you can use the ribbon, I would have thought that would be big news. Some people have alluded to it here, but that doesn't mean it's true. Anyone know if there are T&C's that limit the use of the ribbon? Does anyone know if MS have a patent on this as well?

Problem is, it's not about being first but about execution. iPod wasn't the first MP3 player, wasn't even that good from a feature point of view at the time it was sold. But look how it took off. To be honest this thread is the first time I realised that there is in fact a app store for Ubuntu.

They're probably copying Mac, but I doubt they're copying Ubuntu. Ubuntu copied Apple or just happened to think of something similar. I really don't think that Microsoft would pay attention to Ubuntu.

ISO mounting? It took them THIS long to get one?

PDF READER? Took them THIS long to get one?
Windows is very slow to changes. It's very annoying.
As long as Windows 8 is abandoning older users, then I'd be fine. No point in waiting for those with 2005 computers to upgrade.

<snip>

Totally agree with you about IE, doesn't make sense to have a space taking ribbon bar in there. I like firefox's current approach under windows, makes it more about the web site and less about the browser.

However, I don't like the example you have given for applications where there are a lot of options you need easy access to. Any design program would benefit from a ribbon bar and be far more useable than a drop down approach you have shown. Take Gimp, InkScape, Word Processors, even IDE's for that matter.

Anyway, enough of a rant for now :) no one take me too seriously please.

thepiratefish
May 19th, 2011, 05:44 AM
this looks a lot like their UI for the zune software..maybe they're trying to make everything look approximately the same

slooksterpsv
May 19th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Personally I never agreed with the result that MS had to remove IE or make it removable (and so on) from the OS. End of the day, a web based browser for your OS is entirely logical, in essence it's just a shell, and as such needs to be integrated. But I digress.

I did, I hate IE it's the single most used entity to infect Windows systems. I can't believe they still keep it in the OS by default here in the US. I think that should be changed. Of course I don't get infected with viruses or spyware.

I have to say BS. It's a pain in the *** to change the login screen. I've seen oh so beautiful shots of login screens that have been changed to arts of work yet try as a person newish to Ubuntu to find out how to do same? Changing the login screen for Ubuntu is not something that is accessible to the average non technical person, difficult for a person who is technical but not familiar with the world of Ubuntu.
In the past, and I haven't tested this out, you used to go to System -> Administration -> Login Screen Setup -> Graphical Greeter -> Install New Theme -> xxxx.tar.gz -> Install -> Click on new theme -> Close

To install and change Login themes, was easy as pie.

What do you mean? Terms and conditions for the MS SDK? I'm not a MS developer, but I've never read about any T&C's that limit conditions for where you can use the ribbon, I would have thought that would be big news. Some people have alluded to it here, but that doesn't mean it's true. Anyone know if there are T&C's that limit the use of the ribbon? Does anyone know if MS have a patent on this as well?

When you download and install any Visual Studio component (and they could have removed this), for the Ribbon interface it stated that you could create applications that used the Ribbon UI so long as they didn't compete with Microsoft Office products. I used to work for M$ and read the T&C one night when I was bored. I was like wtf?

So yeah, my responses, don't judge too harshly lol.

jamesjenner
May 19th, 2011, 06:55 AM
In the past, and I haven't tested this out, you used to go to System -> Administration -> Login Screen Setup -> Graphical Greeter -> Install New Theme -> xxxx.tar.gz -> Install -> Click on new theme -> Close

To install and change Login themes, was easy as pie.

AFAIK this isn't the case now. From when I was trying to customise when I first installed 10.10, from memory I came across some comments about how it wasn't possible now. Not sure what the logic is and I hope they bring it back. Pretty sure you still cannot do it in 11.10 but I should check.

When you download and install any Visual Studio component (and they could have removed this), for the Ribbon interface it stated that you could create applications that used the Ribbon UI so long as they didn't compete with Microsoft Office products. I used to work for M$ and read the T&C one night when I was bored. I was like wtf?

Well that's totally wrong in my book but I spose I shouldn't be surprised that MS did/do that. I reckon it's stupid because a) it's arguable that it's monopolistic restriction for apps on Windows and b) how do they expect it to be taken up as a common UI component when they put restrictions on it?

forrestcupp
May 19th, 2011, 05:06 PM

Good thing I have MSDN access. :)

Lucradia
May 19th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Good thing I have MSDN access. :)

Good thing I don't, and never will. If I go back to college, it won't be for anything in IT anyway, more so English Major.

slooksterpsv
May 19th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Well that's totally wrong in my book but I spose I shouldn't be surprised that MS did/do that. I reckon it's stupid because a) it's arguable that it's monopolistic restriction for apps on Windows and b) how do they expect it to be taken up as a common UI component when they put restrictions on it?

It's "intellectual" property, which I think is why OpenOffice.org turned away from doing the whole Ribbon UI-type interface.

kabloink
May 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Mine is the OEM Win7 Pro disc. I got it for free.

Oem versions are included in the price of the machine it came with.

forrestcupp
May 19th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Oem versions are included in the price of the machine it came with.

True, but it's generally believed that at least the large computer companies have mass OEM deals with Microsoft and that they don't pay anywhere near the OEM price that someone like me would pay. A while back it was revealed that a certain company, like Dell or HP, paid around $30-$40 per copy of Windows XP. I forget which company it was.

If that's true, you're paying a lot less for Windows by buying a name brand computer.

Lucradia
May 19th, 2011, 10:23 PM
True, but it's generally believed that at least the large computer companies have mass OEM deals with Microsoft and that they don't pay anywhere near the OEM price that someone like me would pay. A while back it was revealed that a certain company, like Dell or HP, paid around $30-$40 per copy of Windows XP. I forget which company it was.

If that's true, you're paying a lot less for Windows by buying a name brand computer.

If you get a "Retail" Windows, you can activate it on more than one machine though, which is good if you plan to swap your motherboard someday like I might.

Legendary_Bibo
May 19th, 2011, 10:37 PM
If you get a "Retail" Windows, you can activate it on more than one machine though, which is good if you plan to swap your motherboard someday like I might.

It's the Machine Builder disc I think. I won it in a drawing my school was having at a presentation for CIS majors. It was the biggest prize and I was the only non-CIS major at that panel.

forrestcupp
May 19th, 2011, 11:37 PM

If you have the cash and you need Windows, that's definitely the way to go.

Lucradia
May 19th, 2011, 11:51 PM
If you have the cash and you need Windows, that's definitely the way to go.

Well, when I swap my motherboard with an AM3+ for next year, I probably will end up getting Windows 8 at the same time, or shortly after I Swap, so yes, it would be a good idea.