PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems after installing ubuntu

MalayAmok
May 16th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hello guys,

This is my first post here, however I've been using Ubuntu for a while on my laptop. I installed it using wubi and I still have Windows Vista on my PC. Yesterday I unistallaed ubuntu and I then decided to install it 'proper'. During the Installation everything went well, but when I booted my system I noticed that the desktop environment had completely changed! The problem is not only that I'm lost in this new environment, but it seems that Ubuntu is not working properly. If I press alt+F1 (or F2, F3...) I don't get a console. Whenever I close my laptop, the screen freezes and becomes black with a few weird shapes on it. Moreover, Ubuntu seems to be installed in the same partition as windows (before installing Ubuntu I had created a partition just for it). I don't know what is going on and I just wanted to uninstall ubuntu and try again, but I don't know how to do this, especially because I don't know in which partition it is installed (during the installation I wasn't wasked where I wanted to isntall it). Can anyone help me?

MalayAmok

JoelKrause
May 16th, 2011, 01:21 PM
In a situation like this, I'd just backup my files, and completely start again, with Vista and Ubuntu. When you install Ubuntu you can select to install it along side Windows, and that will partition the drive for you, which in my opinion is great, makes it much easier to install it along side Windows. This would be my recommendation anyway.

MalayAmok
May 16th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Right, ok. Unfortunately this happened at a critical moment (I don't have much time right now) and I might have to make do with vista. You said the installer partitioned my drive for me, but is there a way to see it from vista?

JoelKrause
May 16th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Right, ok. Unfortunately this happened at a critical moment (I don't have much time right now) and I might have to make do with vista. You said the installer partitioned my drive for me, but is there a way to see it from vista?
What I meant is that there is an option for the installer to partition the drive for you. (I'm still learning a lot about Linux, so sorry if my recommendations are limited!)