PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wow! Unity doesn't play nice....

Allavona
May 16th, 2011, 07:29 AM
GTFO! I have tried every DE/WM that I know of in 11.04! Except LXDE an XFCE, you can get them in Lu/Xu buntu...And its complete and utter nightmare! I love Ubuntu! But I am having some serious issues with Unity. I seem to recall a guy on Launchpad wanting to know where he could report the bug called Unity!

My main box is running 10.10 and I have no problems putting whatever DE/WM I want on it. My new computer, alas!...OMG Canonical! Not that I am knocking Unity in any way, shape or form...I am a fan of change, but enough is enough!

Flux/black box, IceWM, E17, Afterstep, Openbox, etc..(need I go on) all miserable failures on 11.04. 10.10, they work just fine.

My conclusion: Unity just doesn't want to play nice... And forget about Gnome3...
You'll see many instructions to get Gnome3 on 11.04...Maybe they'll work, but more often than not, you'll crash. Unity will break!

Now that being said...I like Unity. I applaud Canonical for going somewhere totally different. And hopefully, they'll get to where they want to go. But right now, their not there.

Lastly, I am along for the ride...I want to see where Ubuntu takes me next!

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 03:27 AM
GTFO! I have tried every DE/WM that I know of in 11.04! Except LXDE an XFCE, you can get them in Lu/Xu buntu...And its complete and utter nightmare! I love Ubuntu! But I am having some serious issues with Unity. I seem to recall a guy on Launchpad wanting to know where he could report the bug called Unity!

My main box is running 10.10 and I have no problems putting whatever DE/WM I want on it. My new computer, alas!...OMG Canonical! Not that I am knocking Unity in any way, shape or form...I am a fan of change, but enough is enough!

Flux/black box, IceWM, E17, Afterstep, Openbox, etc..(need I go on) all miserable failures on 11.04. 10.10, they work just fine.

My conclusion: Unity just doesn't want to play nice... And forget about Gnome3...
You'll see many instructions to get Gnome3 on 11.04...Maybe they'll work, but more often than not, you'll crash. Unity will break!

Now that being said...I like Unity. I applaud Canonical for going somewhere totally different. And hopefully, they'll get to where they want to go. But right now, their not there.

Lastly, I am along for the ride...I want to see where Ubuntu takes me next!

Hi, I read that gnome 3 will be included with next ubuntu release, I hope that is the case, also part of the problem with gnome 3 and unity playing well together is the fact that gnome 3 also has issues that need to be worked out.:)