PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity

Bcrowes11
May 16th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I typed in unity in ubuntu software center and It shows up as installed. My question is, can I uninstall that and then install gnome 3 or gnome shell? Basically, I want to get rid of unity. I dislike it strongly. Can I just uninstall it? Afterwards can i just click install for gnome 3? Or how would I go about doing that afterwards?

NormanFLinux
May 16th, 2011, 06:51 AM
GNOME Shell is rather buggy right now. You might want to try the GNatty GNOME 3 customized version of Ubuntu if you want to run GNOME 3.

vanadium
May 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM
For the moment, your best option is to stick with the classical desktop and await Ubuntu 11.11, that will ship with Gnome 3 with Unity on top of it.

You can currently install gnome 3 on Ubuntu 11.04, but it is unsupported and is irreversible (cannot reverse the changes). Indeed, it might be buggy on top of that.

Bcrowes11
May 16th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I installed gnome shell and got rid of Unity...THERE'S NO WAY TO FIX IT??? AUGH!!!! Can I install GNatty and get rid of Gnome shell? I don't like the gnome shell... please help!:neutral:

garvinrick4
May 16th, 2011, 10:34 PM
gnome 3 look familiar: refer to post 10:

Bcrowes11
May 16th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Yes. This is exactly what Gnome3 Looks like. I HATE IT!!! IT"S IMPOSSIBLE TO DO THE APPEARANCNGS NOW. I want this gone. There's no way back to gnome 2. SO what can I do?

fatherbernie
May 16th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Awful! Slower than windows 95, buggy, screen freezes. Did Bill Gates design this? I am stunned at this amateur attempt. WOW!

Bcrowes11
May 16th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! I can't go back to gnome 2

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! I can't go back to gnome 2

Hi, according to the post above mine they said if you installed gnome 3 you could not go back to gnome 2, without a fresh install.):P

garvinrick4
May 17th, 2011, 06:50 AM
If you give Unity a whirl after just a bit of a learning curve it is quite nice. A few key commands
all with left hand and Windows key and another close by can get you anywhere. I have grown
to like Unity a whole lot. Use it 95% of time now. Just go to other installs to update now and again. Give yourself some time to learn.

Bcrowes11
May 17th, 2011, 05:46 PM
No, I know how to work it, I just don't care for it, I like the customizability of the original gnome interface. I hate gnome3 even more with that ugly gnome shell, ugh. No offense to yous who like gnome 3, but I wish they'd fix it up a bit more. You can't even customize the appearance like in gnome 2.