PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't create extanded partition

sam1948
May 15th, 2011, 10:24 PM
image attached from gparted on ubuntu 11.04
any idea?

Quackers
May 15th, 2011, 10:30 PM
You already have an extended partition. There can be only one extended partition on a disc. Because the unallocated space is next to your extended partition you can extend your extended partition into that unallocated space. Then you can create more logical partitions or extend sda6.
You cannot do this while the file system is mounted. You should do it from a live cd/usb desktop or by using a gparted live cd.

lechien73
May 15th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I think you're best running gparted from a Live CD, because you will need to unmount the extended partition.

Also, you can only have one extended partition per drive, so I think what you mean is that you want to create another logical partition inside the extended one.

To create a new logical partition, right click on the unmounted /dev/sda2 and click New.

lechien73
May 15th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I must be slowing down in my typing...that's the 2nd time I've duplicated an answer today :)

Hedgehog1
May 16th, 2011, 12:29 AM
I must be slowing down in my typing...that's the 2nd time I've duplicated an answer today :)

It is not that you are slow - it is that Quackers is really fast!

The Hedge

:KS

sam1948
May 19th, 2011, 10:59 PM
thanks people (:
no more than one extended was what i needed.

Quackers
May 19th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Glad to see you got things sorted out :-)

Mr Hedge, you should get some webbed feet! You can type like a maniac with these things :-)