PDA

View Full Version : 'Ultimate' Just-in-case LiveUSB distro?

ManualSparrow
May 15th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I have a LiveUSB of Xubuntu 11.04 that I used for the installation onto my HD a while back. It seems to boot and run fine in Live ('Try') mode, so I'm perfectly fine with keeping it around 'just in case,' or as a handy way to carry a personal desktop environment around and just boot off that if I'm using a different computer.

But then I wondered if there is a 'just in case' where I might want something different - ie, would I be better off with a Lubuntu LiveUSB or one from Slax, both of which would probably boot/run faster if for some reason I had to use/fix an old or broken machine? I think the most common situations would be either a "Get files from Windows, throw a small 'Buntu install on there for backup" -type thing (like when I'm helping fix someone's computer), or a "Crap, I just broke my computer and I really need to keep doing x."

Other considerations:
1) I probably want to use FAT, so that I can keep using the USB for it's usual purpose - moving files between Windows/Mac computers.
2) I will be using a 2GB flashdrive unless I pick up an 8GB in the near future.
3) I also have a 500GB external drive for backup and extra ISOs, and will probably put an install of Xubuntu on a 20GB partition (which means I should probably go with something superlightweight on the flash drive, if I can just use the 'big guy' for serious installs.

Joe of loath
May 15th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Knoppix. Best live distro ever.

silex89
May 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Knoppix. Best live distro ever.

+146467676757656763434124357569677 to this :D

67GTA
May 17th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I've always liked Parted Magic. There is documentation links on the left. Follow the one for "Live USB". Unetbootin is used now to make the USB version, which is simple stupid to use. http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

PCLinuxGuy
May 17th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I like Live USBs for that, but the downside I see from your use is that some older machines may not boot from usb, so keep a cd/dvd of it handy as well so that way if it won't light up from usb you canuse that to make it run from the optical drive since that will usually-to-always work on machines roughly 10 years old and newer.

Mr.Dee
May 17th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Gotta say Joli OS is a favorite for me to carry on USB. It is nice and simple for when you just need to jump on the web. Supports tons of hardware. Plus, it just looks cool.

ManualSparrow
May 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I made a LiveCD and USB of Puppy Linux which is pretty cool, aside from the root login issue.

Re: JoliOS - clever. I used to have a Joli partition but it decided to stop working with my hardware so I did away with it. But running off USB sounds like a really cool idea.