PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ran update manager, now programs won't start

zepolmot
May 15th, 2011, 09:48 PM
So I just ran update manager in 10.04 and rebooted. Now random programs won't run (so far I've found I can't use Firefox and Tetris). I tried rebooting again and when it came to the login screen I didn't have a mouse cursor, when I try to upgrade to 10.10 via update manager it fails and I get this message:

An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:
E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

This can be caused by:
* Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
* Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
* Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

If none of this applies, then please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bug report

Has anybody come across this problem or know how I can repair the broken packages that this error is alluding to? Thanks.

mörgæs
May 16th, 2011, 12:40 AM
http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com/2011/03/unresolvable-problem-occurred-while.html

zepolmot
May 16th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Odd, this lets me get to the upgrade now, but Firefox still crashes at startup and again I don't have a mouse at the login screen. Will report back after the update completes, maybe it'll fix the issue.

zepolmot
May 16th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Well, upgrading to 10.10 did not fix the issue, and I have a whole new problem now. After the purple 'ubuntu' screen, the signal to my monitor cuts out and the screen goes black. I have no way to boot to anything besides the BIOS. Is there a way I can save this?

mörgæs
May 16th, 2011, 02:00 PM
How does a 10.10 live boot work?

zepolmot
May 16th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Good idea, I'll test that after work and give updates. Thanks for the help.

zepolmot
May 17th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Well the Live USB worked once, and I was able to get into recovery mode. I tried the 'repair packages' option, and it seemed to work fine. I rebooted my system hoping to go into the normal boot option, again I got the 'no video' message. Tried to reboot again and go back into recovery mode however it wouldn't display the GRUB screen. I shut down the computer and re-made the Live USB, checked to make sure my boot priorities were correct in my BIOS and tried again to get back into recovery mode. Still getting 'no video'.

zepolmot
May 17th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Ok, so I was able to use my install CD for 10.04 to at least use the 'Try Ubunutu' option to get access to the computer. Is there a way that I can fix the issue or at least back up my files and install programs from here? I've read on a few places that trying to update with ATI Catalyst active that some funky issues can come up, I'm wondering if that's whats happened to me.

zepolmot
May 17th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Forget it, reformatting.

scottstensland
May 17th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I@ve had similar issues when attempting an upgrade - tho had to drop kick N reformat as well - only to later see this bit of advice :

downgrade all ppa prior to upgrade to next release

sudo ppa-purge ppa : name

this might have allowed the ~~calculating ....
to successfully negotiate the upgrade

take care - Scott Stensland

mörgæs
May 17th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Reinstalling is not a bad solution. Get into the habit of reinstalling rather than upgrading, and after doing it a few times it will take you one hour or less.

zepolmot
May 17th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I'm sure its not a bad solution. Its just that when people are new and switching over to Linux for the first time, losing all of your files and programs is a pretty **** way of learning that the 'upgrade' button is a lie. Thank you for trying to walk me through, I'll mark this "solved"

mörgæs
May 17th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Yes, it is very unfortunate that the system does not warn the user that the process is risky. This leads to statements like 'Linux is not ready for prime time, I switch back to Windows'.