PDA

View Full Version : Linux Smear Campaign on YouTube

AndThenWhat
May 15th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Hey Guys,

Recently while browsing YouTube I found a smear campaign against Linux that I think is really counter-productive for the community:

his YT channel is lienucks*fails2 (take out the '*' in the middle, I put it there because I don't want search engines raising his channel in their results)

Normally I would not think this is a big deal, however I noticed these videos appear on the front page of a few Google searches and the videos and comments by the Author contain lies and falsehoods that might make users think Linux is an inferior product in many situations where it is as good, if not better than Windows and/or Mac.

Let me know what you think.

Phrea
May 15th, 2011, 09:36 PM
You know what, I think: let the poor bastard be.

Smear campaigns serve their purpose too, often in the opposite way the original smearers ment it to go.

Same thing with the whole smear campaign Facebook allegedly made against Google.
Eventually, it often comes back to bite the originators in the behind.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

EDIT: also, every and any criticism may have some truth to it, so if there is such a truth: act on it.

speedwell68
May 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Let him post what he wants.

el_koraco
May 15th, 2011, 09:40 PM
omg the music...

NightwishFan
May 15th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Joe Computer User watches the video. From this point on we will just call him Joe. Wow what is this Linux thing? Haha I will look it up. Hmm.. IBM, Google, Wikipedia all use it? Wow it's free? Perhaps Joe might not be convinced to try it.. However he now knows about it even in the worst case he believes it is bad. :)

Any publicity is good publicity.

TAspr
May 15th, 2011, 09:46 PM
One out of 500,000 give or take. He will get used to it and like it. What a joke huh?

Phrea
May 15th, 2011, 09:46 PM
So, to sum it all up:

Smear campaign, schmear campaign. ;)

Thewhistlingwind
May 15th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Take a libertarian approach, the answer to bad speech is good speech.

If you feel that a wrong is being committed, put up some (Better made) videos about why Linux doesn't suck, and then post them as video responses.

If you don't want to, that's fine, don't lose any sleep over it. What this guy doesn't understand is that Bug #1 shouldn't be that Windows has a majority market share, it should be that nobody has heard of Linux.

earthpigg
May 15th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I dunno, I'd say his OO.o vs MS Excel (both on Win7) comparison was fair.

Not that it had anythign to do with Linux.

neu5eeCh
May 15th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Can't find anything to disagree with. His comparisons seem to be selective.

Here's a better comparison:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_windows_part1&num=1

What surprises me is not that Windows 7 runs faster in many tests but that, with the billions and billions of dollars behind it, Windows 7 doesn't win in every comparison and, when it does, the margin can be negligible.

It would also be interesting to compare Windows 7 to Linux on an older single core laptop or desktop computer: Xubuntu or Lubuntu. What? Yeah... that's my point.

3Miro
May 15th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Looked at a few of the videos and it would seem that he has some issues with the GPU (probably driver). This is influencing some of the benchmarks.

I also liked how one of the "professional" reviews that he was talking about was totally outdated. Nobody uses 8.04 and 9.04 anymore, but I guess it is hard for a windows user to understand how two year old software can be obsolete.

NightwishFan
May 15th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Benchmarks do not mean much to me but on a recent comparison vs OS X Ubuntu wins the majority of the tests.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=macosx_lion_dp2&num=1

Johnsie
May 15th, 2011, 11:05 PM
this is free advertising for linux ;-)

All you need to do is point out that the videos are fake and then walk away. When people read the word fake many times they will cease to believe anything he says. You don't even need to prove how they are fake. Smear the smearer without feeding the troll ;-)

Leave the comment, but dont get sucked into the argument.... He clearly wants to argure.

Dustin2128
May 16th, 2011, 12:13 AM
It's some random guy on youtube with sub-par videos. I think it is physiologically impossible to care less than I currently do.

timZZ
May 16th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Linux is well adopted in Business and it serves many purposes in the maths and sciences I am personally not worried about this one person.

Philsoki
May 16th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Nothing like a good old fashioned linux smear campaign. :D

Bandit
May 16th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Only idiots with the IQ of cow poo make smear campaigns.

Every things has its place and every place has its thing. Sure Linux lags behind in desktop market due to lack of commercial support. But it screams in the Server market with over 60% of the market share and 9 out of 10 of your fortune 500 companies use Linux as their main OS on their server mainframes.
The dude can post what he wants and can claim hes a computer tech, but no real company will ever heir that guy. His ignorance only serves to ensure the rest of us will have job openings. ;-)

Timmer1240
May 16th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I Just dont understand what pleasure anyone can get out of cutting down someone elses Operating system! Hey I use Mint Debian My wife uses win 7 My friends run vista another friend runs xp who cares let em use what THEY want!The only thing Ive noticed about windows based OS they are far more prone to contracting some kind of infection because Im always cleaning em up for em!

Spice Weasel
May 16th, 2011, 11:23 AM
People need to chill and be happy with what they are using. Are you happy with whatever OS you are using? Good. Is he happy with Windows 7? Good.

I've seen more Linux users spew completely false statements about Windows than the other way round.

Get rid of the us vs. them attitude.

Fedz
May 16th, 2011, 12:18 PM
People need to chill and be happy with what they are using. Are you happy with whatever OS you are using? Good. Is he happy with Windows 7? Good.

I've seen more Linux users spew completely false statements about Windows than the other way round.

Get rid of the us vs. them attitude.
+1 :rolleyes: 6 of one & half dozen of the other :)

CandidMan
May 16th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I would just ignore it. I recognise this person's posting and video style.
They had a channel a few a months and their favourite moniker was "linux lies 'n suck" hence "lienucks".

All of the comment was almost a rabid attack on Linux with no quarter given. Channel was deleted and I guess they're back and toned it down a bit.

If you try and fight all the crazy out on the internet you'll never stop