PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] controls missing?

ex_isp
May 15th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Just put 11.04 on my core2 machine (3 GB ram, Nvidia 250 gts) and graphics just aren't right.

Installed the recommended Nvidia driver, did updates.

Where is my X to close apps? used to be at top right of running apps. Can't drag apps around by the top bar anymore. Enabled Desktop switcher and it doesn't work. Won't switch desktops.

Are these bugs I'm experiencing or what?

Thanks for any input you may have!

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Just put 11.04 on my core2 machine (3 GB ram, Nvidia 250 gts) and graphics just aren't right.

Where is my X to close apps? used to be at top right of running apps. Can't drag apps around by the top bar anymore. Enabled Desktop switcher and it doesn't work. Won't switch desktops.

Hi, you can not enable any effect in compiz when running unity, if you want compiz you need to log out and hit your user name and go to the bottom of the screen and click ubuntu classic and you can enable effects, I am running the cube and full effects in classic mode no problem at all.

Unity –reset

Hi, just open a terminal by hitting alt+f2 or ctrl +alt+t and type unity --reset and let it run for about three minutes, do not worry about the errors it will list, then hit ctrl+alt+del to restart the computer and everything should be fine.:)

wildmanne39
May 17th, 2011, 04:14 AM

Also there is a bug in the driver for the nvidia cards I have to use the 173 driver the current one does not work, I am not sure what driver your card needs but you can check the bug report pretty much all nvidia cards are affected, and they have a fix for them.:)

Copper Bezel
May 17th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Those are all some very nasty bugs, yes, and they sound to be Compiz-related (like Compiz is running, but seriously borked.) Are you using the Classic desktop or Unity?

ex_isp
July 20th, 2011, 02:33 AM
OMG! What fax paux have I done in getting great info here and I
disappeared for a bit (shame)!

173.x is also my Nvidia driver of choice.

Ended up putting 10.04 back on that P4 box...solved the issue one
way or another!

Thanks to all for your contributions here!

Thread End