PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Disabled nVidia Drivers in "Additional Drivers" now X doesn't start

gwohl
May 15th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Hi guys!

I recently updated to 11.04, and in order to get Unity to work, I tried disabling my nVidia drivers in the "Additional Drivers" to see what results that would bring. Now X won't start, because it can't find the nvidia module. I'm new to Ubuntu and to GNOME/KDE environments, so I'm confused by what this function actually did. It didn't change my xorg.conf at all, it just seemed to delete it from my system!

Since I can't start X, I can't reopen that menu and re-enable the driver. I used apt-get to download the nvidia drivers again but no setup menu ever came up as I am used to when installing nvidia's drivers, so I'm not sure exactly what that particular apt-get package did. I'm afraid to stray out of the apt-get system out of fears related to past experiences with dependency issues and a broken system. But I'll do whatever I have to do to get X back up and running with the nvidia drivers!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

(Ubuntu Studio 11.04, X86-64, GeForce GTX 260)

MAFoElffen
May 15th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Hi guys!

I recently updated to 11.04, and in order to get Unity to work, I tried disabling my nVidia drivers in the "Additional Drivers" to see what results that would bring. Now X won't start, because it can't find the nvidia module. I'm new to Ubuntu and to GNOME/KDE environments, so I'm confused by what this function actually did. It didn't change my xorg.conf at all, it just seemed to delete it from my system!

Since I can't start X, I can't reopen that menu and re-enable the driver. I used apt-get to download the nvidia drivers again but no setup menu ever came up as I am used to when installing nvidia's drivers, so I'm not sure exactly what that particular apt-get package did. I'm afraid to stray out of the apt-get system out of fears related to past experiences with dependency issues and a broken system. But I'll do whatever I have to do to get X back up and running with the nvidia drivers!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

(Ubuntu Studio 11.04, X86-64, GeForce GTX 260)
Refer to this sticky:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Shortcut to get you back:
Reboot
Press shift key and get to boot menu
Press "e"
Will bring you into edit mode of the linux boot item...
Move to the line starting with

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=32939def-1f4a-4134-9b56-bed2319a9216 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7

Edit it to read (look at end)

inux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=32939def-1f4a-4134-9b56-bed2319a9216 ro nosplash nomodeset text

Press <cntrl><x>
Will bring you to a text console login. Enter userid and password.

cd /etc/default/
sudo vi grub
Add this line

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD=text
Save and exit, then...

sudo update-grub
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot
That should reboot you into a mode that is going to tell the kernel to ignore graphics calls (mode sets) from grub and let Xorg use the nvidia drivers without interference from external calls...

gwohl
May 22nd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, while following your directions, I get stuck at "sudo nvidia-xconfig" because it returns "command not found" when I try to run it. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

robbiemacg
May 22nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
This maybe a silly question, but did you receive any warnings or unusual dialogues following the sudo apt-get install nvidia-current command? Have you installed applications or drivers via CLI in the past?

MAFoElffen
May 22nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, while following your directions, I get stuck at "sudo nvidia-xconfig" because it returns "command not found" when I try to run it. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
If you got "command not found" on "sudo nvidia-xconfig"... then the previous "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current" failed or the installed package that is already there has problems, because "that is" a part of that package.

In that case, try this and see how it works: (paying attention to the messages)

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
sudo nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig