PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Blank Screen after Grub selection on Ubuntu 11.04

sid.mallya
May 15th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Hey guys ! I downloaded Ubuntu 11.04 yesterday. The ISO allowed me to install Ubuntu using Wubi and it worked just fine in Windows (I used a virtual drive to mount the ISO). I liked it enough to want to replace Linux Mint on the Laptop with it.

After a LOT of trying, I was finally able to make the liveUSB of Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit version.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1758304

But the liveUSB drive still is causing major trouble. It displays the boot menu and if I select 'try Ubuntu without installing', I am greeted with a blank screen which just does not go away until I hard reboot the system.

Also, the grub I am getting is NOT the purple one which usually is the default; instead, its a dark screen with a black-n-white titled Ubuntu logo. :confused:

So the question of using the NOMODESET doesn't arise at all.

I am using Dell XPS 15 with dual OSes - Linux Mint and Windows 7. Both Mint and 7 are 64-bit OSes but I am trying to install Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit version.

MAFoElffen
May 15th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Hey guys ! I downloaded Ubuntu 11.04 yesterday. The ISO allowed me to install Ubuntu using Wubi and it worked just fine in Windows (I used a virtual drive to mount the ISO). I liked it enough to want to replace Linux Mint on the Laptop with it.

After a LOT of trying, I was finally able to make the liveUSB of Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit version.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1758304

But the liveUSB drive still is causing major trouble. It displays the boot menu and if I select 'try Ubuntu without installing', I am greeted with a blank screen which just does not go away until I hard reboot the system.

Also, the grub I am getting is NOT the purple one which usually is the default; instead, its a dark screen with a black-n-white titled Ubuntu logo. :confused:

So the question of using the NOMODESET doesn't arise at all.

I am using Dell XPS 15 with dual OSes - Linux Mint and Windows 7. Both Mint and 7 are 64-bit OSes but I am trying to install Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit version.That error still applies to the purple screen error (same cause)... A purple screen, a black screen, a blank screen, a flashing cursor (sometimes), a stuck splash screen. etc. > where xorg is stuck at startup before the GDM login screen.

Please refre to the first 3 posts of this sticky and ask me any questions you'ld like: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

sid.mallya
May 16th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I have tried most of what is present in the thread already. Anyway, I thought Ill give another distro of Ubuntu a try, and surprise surprise, it still doesn't work.

Same problem.

"Unable to mount /dev/sr0" then goes into initramfs with the error message, "unable to find (or mount) live filesystem"

sid.mallya
May 16th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Bump !

MAFoElffen
May 16th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I have tried most of what is present in the thread already. Anyway, I thought Ill give another distro of Ubuntu a try, and surprise surprise, it still doesn't work.

Same problem.

"Unable to mount /dev/sr0" then goes into initramfs with the error message, "unable to find (or mount) live filesystem"
So this seems not a graphics problem...

From what I'm hearing... This is rather a problem on how the usb boot image was created or how it's booting usb?

sid.mallya
May 17th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Yes ! And I think there is some problem with the laptop regarding this. This same problem has occurred when I had installed Linux Mint on the system. I tried 9-10 times and suddenly it recognized the usb boot device and I was able to install it.

I have always used Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator for the purpose. Ill try booting Ubuntu 11.04 using a CD today. If that works, then there is something wrong with USB booting.

shannon.jacobs
May 18th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I just upgraded two machines, and they are both seriously mucho deado. These two are ThinkPads, one is older under the IBM logo, while the second one is Lenovo branded. I was hoping to find some hint to proceed, but I'm obviously a fool for hoping that Ubuntu was not going to get worse this time around. I actually succeeded on an even older machine, but apparently because it rejected Unity completely.

Well, at least I'm not a perfect fool. I had already stopped relying on Ubuntu, and the two new deaders are actually only VMware Player emulators, though on two different machines.

In conclusion, I've been using Ubuntu for about 5 years now, and it peaked several years ago. To me it seems obvious that their financial model is fatally flawed, so just for grins, I thought of a better one. Here's the link in case you might find it amusing.

http://eco-epistemology.blogspot.com/2009/11/economics-of-small-donors-reverse.html

shantanu18
May 18th, 2011, 06:11 AM
When booting ubuntu from USB continuously press any arrow key. Select language. From grub menu press F6 and select "nomodeset" [x will appear].

Now select your desire option (try ubuntu or install). Hope this will help. Check your disk(USB) is it correctly write ubuntu or not (using check disk option).

sid.mallya
May 18th, 2011, 09:13 AM
@Shannon,

Um, okay ? I don't see how that is related to my problem, but thank you for sharing your views ? :)

@Shantanu,

Like I said, the option was not being made available to me, cause the grub menu it was displaying was some old legacy version - not the purple one you'd think it would.

@All,

Anyway, I was able to install Ubuntu 11.04 using a liveCD .. I think there is a problem with Dell XPS 15 and liveUSB .. I was faced with this problem earlier too. And I hardly think I am making a mistake making the liveUSB - monkeys can point and click ! xD