PDA

View Full Version : Tux Sightnings

slooksterpsv
May 15th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Ok so I was watching a Fruit Loops commercial and it looked like Tux, the Penguin. What do you guys think?
(32 seconds) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSEwThogkzY

Where else have you seen Tux?

Phrea
May 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Yea, that's not some look alike, that's really Tux !!

Did you make that video?

EDIT: maybe Fruitloops used Linux software to make, well, Fruitloops? Or this commercial? Or it was just some dude making it, who liked Linux?

More editing: it also looks kinda like Tux Racer.

Last edit, I promise: you made a boo boo in the title, it's 'sightings'.

slooksterpsv
May 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Haha I fat fingered it - sightnings lol

No it's not my video there, its one that I just searched: Fruit Loops Commercial 2011 and that was the first result.

I just like seeing Tux out and about.

Tibuda
May 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM
So every penguin is tux now?

tgm4883
May 15th, 2011, 09:22 PM

Did you watch the commercial? That is Tux.

slooksterpsv
May 15th, 2011, 09:22 PM

Nope I didn't say that, it just closely resembled tux compared to Tux Racer, Super Tux, Tux Kart, etc.

Penguins of Madagascar don't look like Tux, same with Happy Feet, same with March of the Penguins.

Thewhistlingwind
May 15th, 2011, 09:24 PM
did you watch the commercial? That is tux.

+1

Phrea
May 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM

It is without a doubt Tux. Check out the vid, if you haven't already.

tgm4883
May 15th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Two screenshots for the lazy. First is from the commercial. Second is from store.linux.com.

speedwell68
May 15th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Two screenshots for the lazy. First is from the commercial. Second is from store.linux.com.

They are very similar, but not the same.

Phrea
May 15th, 2011, 09:50 PM

You can see it because of the pixels and the photoshops you've seen in your day? ;)

They are the same.

racie
May 15th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Oh my gosh...

there's been a picture of tux stenciled on this concrete wall for years in the downtown area of my city. The next time I drive by, I'll have to snap a pic.

Tibuda
May 15th, 2011, 10:06 PM
no, they are not the same

Phrea
May 15th, 2011, 10:43 PM

You can tell by the pixels, right?
Oh look, overall it looks the same, but theres a pixel wrong, so it isnt. ;)

I bet you've seen a lot of photoshops in your day, eh. ;)

tgm4883
May 15th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Looking at body shape, coloring and body position, it's super similar. Only thing I can see missing is the arms. If anything, it's a variant of Tux. But IMHO, a variant of Tux is still Tux. It's akin to my wife cutting her hair. She may look different, but she's still my wife.

DangerOnTheRanger
May 16th, 2011, 01:42 AM
It is Tux. Wow.

Nope I didn't say that, it just closely resembled tux compared to Tux Racer, Super Tux, Tux Kart, etc.

Penguins of Madagascar don't look like Tux <snipped>

That's true, but one of the penguins (namely, Private) actual name is Mr. Tux. Interesting, no? :)

c2006
May 16th, 2011, 01:50 AM

Indeed. I'd say a relative with slightly less weight around the midsection. But add some weight, and it's Tux.

murderslastcrow
May 16th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I don't see penguins with that face and body shape that aren't intentionally trying to emulate Tux' look. Cut off my arms and suddenly I'm unrecognizable, eh? Sounds like a pretty morbid assumption.

alexan
May 16th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Looks like a tribute from one (or more) artist who drew/desing/made the commercial; probably the company itself (both client and producer of the spot) are unaware of it.

Linux is spreading like a virus... like democracy in northern Africa :phear:

:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

Macskeeball
May 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I don't see penguins with that face and body shape that aren't intentionally trying to emulate Tux' look. Cut off my arms and suddenly I'm unrecognizable, eh? Sounds like a pretty morbid assumption.

Or put glasses on him, and he becomes Clark Kent!