PDA

View Full Version : Can't install the EA Download Manager w/ Ubuntu

BVinyl
May 15th, 2011, 05:24 PM
After dealing with the customer reps at EA. It just doesn't make sense to me that for the EADM there is no alternative to download it for even a linux OS. I decided to turn my computer completely over to ubuntu today because I was having serious issue with my Windows Vista OS that a friend gave to me to install.

I want to install the EADM so I can install and play the games on it. I have The Sims 2 and expansion packs, The Sims 3 and an expansion pack and The Sims Medieval(Sims fanatic, yes).I did see Cedega but I don't understand how it works. I really want to keep the ubuntu OS because I love everything about it except the fact that I can't install certain things on it.

Is there a solution to this that I may have missed while searching in the forums? What can I do to solve this issue?

I also would like to understand why it is so difficult to make programs compatible with Linux and Ubuntu and even the Mac OS?

Spr0k3t
May 15th, 2011, 05:58 PM
The best thing to do is to read up on the different games you want to install. Start with The Sims 2 on winehq.org (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1942). Unfortunately, most games from Electronic Arts are either garbage or barely even touching the silver rating thanks to their methods of DRM. The best thing you can do is send a request to EA asking them to support Linux... that's about it for now.

christoph411
May 15th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Well to begin with, are you aware that Windows files cannot be opened and Windows programs cannot run on Ubuntu?

BVinyl
May 16th, 2011, 06:25 AM
No I was not aware of that I thought when it said "can download all popular programs/applications" that everything would be fine. I'll just run Ubuntu along side Windows.

Since no one can really answer my question than I will consider this solved.