PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] change console keyboard layout

cccc
May 15th, 2011, 12:21 PM
hi

If I switch using CTRL-ALT-F1 to the console, then I have other keyboard layout than under Gnome Desktop.
Howto change console keyboard layout?

lechien73
May 15th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Try switching to the console, and then installing the console-common package, if it's not already installed:

sudo apt-get install console-common

It will prompt you to change your keyboard layout. To make changes after that, you can type:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-data

cccc
May 15th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Thy a lot, now it works well!

lechien73
May 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Great stuff :) please could you use the Thread Tools menu and mark it as [SOLVED]?

Thanks

rocktale
June 20th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Is there a way to make the changes permanent? I use the server edition and after a reboot I am back with the default keymap.

cccc
June 25th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Is there a way to make the changes permanent? I use the server edition and after a reboot I am back with the default keymap.

Try to change in /etc/default/keyboard and change as well at the Gnome Login Mask, if you mark an user name, go down and change the keyboard, before login into the Gnome desktop.

pma083
April 4th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Try switching to the console, and then installing the console-common package, if it's not already installed:

sudo apt-get install console-common

It will prompt you to change your keyboard layout. To make changes after that, you can type:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-data

Simply Awesome! :)
Thanks.