PDA

View Full Version : Chromebook: mainstream hardware linux compatible... what does mean for linux?

alexan
May 15th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Will this be the year of linux or something really real will happen?

Will Canonical target this very special platform.. or they will avoid direct confrontation with Google?

sanderd17
May 15th, 2011, 11:07 AM
the chromebook is not really suited for "real" desktop apps. It doesn't have the F1..F12 keys or the ESC key. Those are things that you can really need on the current distros.

I doubt that cannonical would target the platform (but you never know with cannonical) but hackers will certainly make distros that work on the chromebook. Just like I can install Ubuntu on my android phone.

NormanFLinux
May 15th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Chromebook is all web.

If that's your kind of thing, its perfect.

Most people though, don't want to entrust their work to one company.

Its an understandable feeling.

Fedz
May 15th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I'm pretty sure Canonical are keeping an eye on Google/Chromebook but, I personally don't see it as challenge to Ubuntu as Chromebook is cloud based & Ubuntu is more full featured OS & can be used as cloud based & or not & or a mix of the two - like any other complete OS.

Chrome OS (desktop) could however be a challenger to Ubuntu but, myself prefer Ubuntu as I have an aversion to anything Google :D

Oxwivi
May 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM
[...] I have an aversion to anything Google :D
Looking at the stuff underneath your name, I'd rather have Gmail rather than Hotmail or Y! Mail. Not only is it better, at least Google invests in and uses open-source technology despite the bad press about privacy. I'd at least trust Microsoft less with my data.

alexan
May 16th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Will be able to do accelerated graphic those netbook? Which integrated GPU they will use... all Intel? I doubt.

What if an hm (hardware manufacturer) would add an ATI? They will use ATi binary drivers? they will ask ATi to give a fix? Or they will opt for opensource solution?
What about all usb devices like HSDPA modem&co? Google could computing may become an interesting option to samba?

So far ChromeOS will maintain a link with gentoo all the standards made for the chrome book could come in linux... but also bsd, osx etc.

Goolge is retain the release of Android 3 source code: is google going to change philosophy with opensource as their opensource project become mainstream?

AKA:
option 1) chromebook become failure == "it's all open source model fault"
option 2) chromebook become a success == "let's close it for... security reason"

Fedz
May 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Looking at the stuff underneath your name, I'd rather have Gmail rather than Hotmail or Y! Mail. Not only is it better, at least Google invests in and uses open-source technology despite the bad press about privacy. I'd at least trust Microsoft less with my data.
Sorry for late editing. I misunderstood what you clearly meant!
I just hope google is genuine in it's intentions of open source code but i have reservations!