PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] XFCE 4.8 - No Applications Found

Albertint
May 15th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I've run into this bug that I don't know how it happened, quite. I ran my installed 4.8 on Ubuntu 11.04 a few days ago, and it the Applications Menu worked fine. Then, I wanted to add an application to it (The Ubuntu Software Center) so I opened up its settings and edited it with what I think to be alacarte. Then when I click the menu to check it, a simple tab appears over it and says "no applications found". This was rather confusing, so I looked in the ~/.config/menus/ folder and opened up the xfce-applications.menu file. This is what it says:

<!DOCTYPE Menu
PUBLIC '-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN'
'http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-1.0.dtd'>
<Menu>
<Name>Xfce</Name>
<MergeFile type="parent">/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu</MergeFile>
</Menu>This leads me to believe that the standard menu editor may not work correctly, but now I need to know how to get it working again. I've tried simply replacing the menu, but that doesn't work.

Thanks,
Albertint

Albertint
May 15th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Wow, nevermind on that.

Turns out when I edit the file, it is saved in the folder I described above, which is the one accessed. But there's an exact same file saved under ~/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

Strange, but it works just to copy that over to the other folder I defined.

Good thing I got that. Now how do I change the thread badge as SOLVED. :confused:

mvario
May 17th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I just had the same thing happen... what did you copy where?

Thanks

[edit]

got it, I chose custom instead of default and pointed it at ~/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu and I'm good.

fooey
July 27th, 2011, 02:51 AM
in the same EXACT situation as O.P.er

How'd you fix again?

lucia_engel
August 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM
in the same EXACT situation as O.P.er

How'd you fix again?

I just had the same problem and this is what I did. Right click on the Applications Menu and go to Properties. Select "Use custom menu file" and browse to ~/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

Edit: Disregard the above, "Application Finder" and Launcher "add" would still not work. Keep the default menu and run the following commands.

cp ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu_backup
cp /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu ~/.config/menus/

XubuRoxMySox
August 14th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Now how do I change the thread badge as SOLVED. :confused:

Thanks for this thread, it's actually quite helpful!

To mark this as SOLVED, go to your first pot in the thread and click "Edit." Then choose "Advanced" options to open up the Subject line, then just add "[SOLVED]" to the subject.

-Robin

Elfy
August 14th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Actually you should be able to do so from the Thread Tools at the top. As it is I did it.

art_peru
August 30th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Thanks a lot, same problem here :)

mikodo
September 1st, 2011, 02:31 AM
cp ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu_backup

Same problem. This fixed it.

Thanks.

ericklan
September 2nd, 2011, 04:19 AM
I just had the same problem and this is what I did. Right click on the Applications Menu and go to Properties. Select "Use custom menu file" and browse to ~/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

Edit: Disregard the above, "Application Finder" and Launcher "add" would still not work. Keep the default menu and run the following commands.

restart session and ok =)