PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lag on an i5 2520

jmknsd
May 15th, 2011, 01:40 AM
I just got a Lenovo T420 (no discrete graphics) and put 11.04 on it. Everything is great, but there seems to be a bit of lag, just a few seconds fairly randomly. Not a major problem, but this is a fairly powerful laptop.

Also, Totem seems to choke on 1080p and 720p video, with the video and sound desyncing and the video getting garbled occasionally. VLC works fine though.

I asked on IRC, and someone told me I needed to install the Intel graphics drivers, but I am pretty sure they are open source and are already included.

Is this something that everyone is facing with sandy bridge, and will improve over time, or is there something else I need to do?

PhantmKllr
May 15th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Even though 11.04 is a stable release, there are still a lot of problems to work out of it. I would think that your problems will vanish when 11.10 releases, or sooner when updated are released.

Plus, the HD Graphics 3000 chipset (default on T420) is a relatively new product, so there may be a few graphics updates down the line which should address the video playback issues.

jmknsd
May 15th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Even though 11.04 is a stable release, there are still a lot of problems to work out of it. I would think that your problems will vanish when 11.10 releases, or sooner when updated are released.

Plus, the HD Graphics 3000 chipset (default on T420) is a relatively new product, so there may be a few graphics updates down the line which should address the video playback issues.

Yeah, that's kind of what I expected to be the case. The lag is easily tolerated, and it might go away when I stop using a second monitor.

PhantmKllr
May 15th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Yeah, I've noticed a few problems when using more than one monitor with 11.04, especially with integrated Intel graphics.

slooksterpsv
May 15th, 2011, 04:19 AM
A few things you can try:

1. Install compiz configuration settings manager (CCSM), open it up and click on OpenGL, then uncheck the VSync option

2. Go to System Settings -> Monitors and make sure your Hz is set to 60 and not auto.

3. Open Additional Drivers and make sure there's not an additional drive you can install.

coober85
May 16th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I have a t520 too,

I'm currently in the process of installing Linux Mint 11 RC, but I've had Windows 7 "with Lenovo enhanced experience 2.0" to start off, and I can say that I've complained of the exact same thing.

it's not awful, but in throwing down $$$ for a new comp, I expect it to be flawless with