PDA

View Full Version : Finally allowing the narwhal to rise from the depths

Quadunit404
May 14th, 2011, 09:58 PM
As in, I finally decided it's time to upgrade.

Initially, I was going to switch to Fedora, then I decided "nah" and tried waiting as long as I could on Natty until Unity became more usable. Now I think it's time to upgrade.

I've already installed Natty to a USB drive so I could use that as my installation media. Next I'm going to boot back to Ubuntu, then copy my /home to an external drive, make a note of all my PPAs and then install Natty.

And why am I copying my /home to an external drive? It's because I've had difficulties with data loss when backing up via Deja Dup or whatever.

underquark
May 14th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I strongly suggest that you try opening a browser to download a large file, run a flash video in vlc and then see if your mouse responds at anything other than glacial slowness before you take the Natty plunge. You might be in luck.

Quadunit404
May 15th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Okay, everything is backed up.

btw, my plan is to install Natty over Maveick while keeping Windows. This should be possible. Just to make sure, I will download a Natty ISO image (separate from the one I used to create the live USB) and will see if it will let me replace my existing Ubuntu installation from the installer.

wilee-nilee
May 15th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Okay, everything is backed up.

btw, my plan is to install Natty over Maveick while keeping Windows. This should be possible. Just to make sure, I will download a Natty ISO image (separate from the one I used to create the live USB) and will see if it will let me replace my existing Ubuntu installation from the installer.

If you just clone the maverick as well, you will have a complete image to slip back in, if you want it back, same as it ever was.
http://clonezilla.org/

Quadunit404
May 15th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Kinda too late for that as I finished the upgrade and restoration :lol:

I think that I will stick to the Narwhal until Oneiric is out.

btw, this is officially my first post from Natty :D

wilee-nilee
May 15th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Kinda too late for that as I finished the upgrade and restoration :lol:

I think that I will stick to the Narwhal until Oneiric is out.

btw, this is officially my first post from Natty :D

Yippee, you have earned the right to nar-wail, if you have any problems.;)

Quadunit404
May 15th, 2011, 05:51 AM
:D

Do I win something else?

wilee-nilee
May 15th, 2011, 05:57 AM
:D

Do I win something else?

Happiness with your new set up hopefully, but don't discount the wailing, it gets the endorphins ah flowing.:D

NormanFLinux
May 15th, 2011, 09:30 AM
If you have a Broadcomm or Atheros card, upgrade the kernel. It will solve the freeze issue in a wireless connection. I finally figured out it wasn't memory, it was a broken kernel!

Now its smooth and fast! :)

NormanFLinux
May 15th, 2011, 09:38 AM
If you have a Broadcomm or Atheros card, upgrade the kernel. It will solve the freeze issue in a wireless connection. I finally figured out it wasn't memory, it was a broken kernel!

VOT Productions
May 15th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Achievement unlocked: Install Ubuntu 11.04.
Achievement unlocked: I'm backing up, backing up, backing up, backing up.
Achievement unlocked: Stick with Ubuntu 11.04.

VOT Productions
May 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I strongly suggest that you try opening a browser to download a large file, run a flash video in vlc and then see if your mouse responds at anything other than glacial slowness before you take the Natty plunge. You might be in luck.

Works :)
At least at a high-end system.

Quadunit404
May 15th, 2011, 05:32 PM

I have a Broadcom card for Wireless and haven't noticed any issues with freezing. I have noticed that the function keys work OOTB though, all what I need to do is fix the backlight control and I'm perfect! :D