PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble with installation of Google Earth on Ubuntu 10.10

Bluemax_36
May 14th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I've just upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 to Ubuntu 10.10 on my Intel-based computer. I had intended to upgrade to 11.04, but for the first time, I found an Ubuntu distribution release that was not quite ready for prime time...at least on my computer. I settled for 10.10 which appears to be quite stable and reliable. I never really had success getting Google Earth installed on 10.04, and I'm not doing any better on 10.10. After much manipulation, I'm able to get Google Earth to come up when I click on its icon in "Applications =>Internet." The trouble is that the viewing window remains blank. After several minutes of moderate modem and hard drive activity, a message window pops up with the message:

"Google Earth can't contact imagery server to download new images. You'll be able to see areas that you've been to recently, but new image areas may appear blurry. Learn more."

Since this is a new installation on the Ubuntu 10.10 installation, I've not been to any areas recently, so nothing shows up. I'm not having issues with contact with other servers, so I'm quite certain that the issue is unique to the GE installation. Anyone have an idea what I might have missed?

Thanks a bunch!

Bluemax_36

Frogster
October 13th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I have exactly the same problem, have you found a solution?