PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No boot on Ubuntu 11.04

sid.mallya
May 14th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Hey guys ! I downloaded both 64- and 32-bit versions of Ubuntu 11.04. I run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my desktop and Linux Mint 10 on my laptop.

The 32-bit version doesn't create a startup disk at all, giving me an "Input/Output Exception - Installation failed" message on both the laptop and desktop.

The 64-bit version goes into bootloader but on selecting the "try ubuntu without installing" option, just displays a blank screen.

What is going wrong ? I am using a usb-stick installation.

(I am trying to use Ubuntu on my Dell XPS 15)

MAFoElffen
May 14th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Hey guys ! I downloaded both 64- and 32-bit versions of Ubuntu 11.04. I run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my desktop and Linux Mint 10 on my laptop.

The 32-bit version doesn't create a startup disk at all, giving me an "Input/Output Exception - Installation failed" message on both the laptop and desktop.

The 64-bit version goes into bootloader but on selecting the "try ubuntu without installing" option, just displays a blank screen.

What is going wrong ? I am using a usb-stick installation.
Please vidt this sticky and read post 3 for instructioons on using a "nomodeset" startup[ option with the LiveCD. Does have pictures to show the screens you should see and what options to use.

Summary:
When you get to the keyboard select screen, press <esc> > Press <F6> > Arrow down to the nomodeset option to highlight it > Press shift or enter > Press <Esc> to back-out to the menu (option will be remebered) Select "try..."

Dutch70
May 14th, 2011, 07:54 PM
If the 64-bit version works, there is no reason the 32 bit wouldn't. There is probably something wrong with your downloaded .iso. That being said, I would recommend the 64-bit version anyway.

I'm not sure what MAFoElffen meant by "vidt this sticky" I think he just forgot to put the link in there & I'd say we've all done that a few times. Anyway here is the link for the nomodeset boot option.
How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132)

sid.mallya
May 15th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Haha .. Ya ! I was wondering what was he talking about too. Anyway, I tried the solution outlined in the "nomodeset" thread and that didn't work either.

I dont think there is a problem with the ISO cause it is working fine on my VirtualBox .. =/

Right now the error I am getting is "unable to mount /dev/sr0" or "unable to mount live filesystem"

sid.mallya
May 15th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Quick question. Why isn't the md5 checksum posted on the Ubuntu website. I generated the local checksum to see if the ISO downloaded wholly or not. But there is nothing to compare against. =/

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

sid.mallya
May 15th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Bump !

drs305
May 15th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Try this link for Natty MD5SUMs

http://releases.ubuntu.com/natty/MD5SUMS

sid.mallya
May 15th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Ok ! From the checksums its clear that there is nothing wrong with the ISO. Neither of the ISOs (32- or 64-bit) one are booting up .. It keeps saying

unable to mount /dev/sr0

drs305
May 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM
At this point I usually recommend inserting another type of bootable CD/DVD (movie, software, etc) and see if it will boot. If a commercial product won't boot, the chances are very good it's your hardware.

sid.mallya
May 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I highly doubt that something is wrong with the pen drive. It worked like a charm as a Linux Mint 10 liveUSB just yesterday. Anyway, Ill give it a shot and get back to you on this one.

Thank you.

drs305
May 15th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I highly doubt that something is wrong with the pen drive. It worked like a charm as a Linux Mint 10 liveUSB just yesterday. Anyway, Ill give it a shot and get back to you on this one.

Thank you.

I misunderstood. I thought it was CD trouble...

sid.mallya
May 15th, 2011, 08:35 PM
There was a problem with the Flag management of the pen drive. Since, I have tried making it a liveUSB so many times, the boot flag was staying on even after formatting the pen drive. Strange, but I guess that can happen.

Anyway, after manually deselecting the flag and reinstalling the ISO on the USB, the process was a success; well, atleast barely. Now there is a new problem -->

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10819629