PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Where to install GRUB ?

Minimal Hank
May 14th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I thought I should try Ubuntu on my new laptop but I'm stuck with where to install GRUB ..

DISKPART> LIST PARTITION

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 199 MB 1024 KB Windows 7 boot partition
Partition 2 Primary 282 GB 200 MB Windows 7 main partition
Partition 3 Primary 15 GB 282 GB Windows 7 recovery partition
Partition 4 Primary 103 MB 297 GB HP Tools partitionThe thing is .. I do not want to touch Windows 7 recovery and HP Tools. Since I'm going to format Windows 7 main partition and replace with Ubuntu, I guess I don't need the boot partition either ?

Anyway, the question is .. should I install GRUB on /dev/sda ( whole disk ) or /dev/sda1 ( first partition ) ?

wilee-nilee
May 14th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I thought I should try Ubuntu on my new laptop but I'm stuck with where to install GRUB ..

DISKPART> LIST PARTITION

Partition 4 Primary 103 MB 297 GB HP Tools partitionThe thing is .. I do not want to touch Windows 7 recovery and HP Tools. Since I'm going to format Windows 7 main partition and replace with Ubuntu, I guess I don't need the boot partition either ?

Anyway, the question is .. should I install GRUB on /dev/sda ( whole disk ) or /dev/sda1 ( first partition ) ?

You have 4 primary partitions that is the max on a HD, just info here.

So if you're not replacing W7, which to be honest is hard to tell with the wording, you will have to loose a partition.

Chances are if you want a partitioned dual boot your access to the recovery is unlikely.

No big deal you can clone the C drive , do the backup allowed, if a OEM or home only a one time thing.

Most people remove both of the partitions you don't want to part with, the recovery and the firmware/boot partition=1, but you have to make sure that partition 2 in your mock description can boot on its own easily done with a windows install or recovery disc.

If you do not understand what I mean or are unsure don't do it and ask questions.;)

MAFoElffen
May 14th, 2011, 04:58 PM

DISKPART> LIST PARTITION

Answer- " /dev/sda "

Tip- Create a Win7 Recovery Disk and do a backup before you delete Win7... Dell and HP use a few propietary files that check the digital signature of their motherboards (In Windows). so If you ever wanted to reinstall Windows (as a dual boot or such), then your going to need those.

wilee-nilee
May 14th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Answer- " /dev/sda "

Tip- Create a Win7 Recovery Disk and do a backup before you delete Win7... Dell and HP use a few propietary files that check the digital signature of their motherboards (In Windows). so If you ever wanted to reinstall Windows (as a dual boot or such), then your going to need those.

If the user replaces W7, and does not know about extended partitions and places a swap=5 partition on there as well the HD will go dynamic.

That is not a good thing.

MAFoElffen
May 14th, 2011, 05:30 PM
If the user replaces W7, and does not know about extended partitions and places a swap=5 partition on there as well the HD will go dynamic.

That is not a good thing.
I was thinking that "same." He already has 4 partitions marked as primary and should end up with no more than 4 primaries. If he "replaced" Windows as he sort-of- said, That would be one... He really wouldn't need the recovery or the tools parturition except as a backup.

The tools partition is not really going to do him much good without having Winodws present on it. The Revovery Partition wouldn't be needed if he made a Recovery disk and Backed up what is there...

That leaves him with the "main" ntfs, which I figure is data? Other Win Programs?

wilee-nilee
May 14th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I was thinking that "same." He already has 4 partitions marked as primary and should end up with no more than 4 primaries. If he "replaced" Windows as he sort-of- said, That would be one... He really wouldn't need the recovery or the tools parturition except as a backup.

The tools partition is not really going to do him much good without having Winodws present on it. The Revovery Partition wouldn't be needed if he made a Recovery disk and Backed up what is there...

That leaves him with the "main" ntfs, which I figure is data? Other Win Programs?

I appreciate your candour, we never really know what the other knows until they tell us.;)