PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent lock-up after update to 11.04 (64Bit)

Mikjoba
May 14th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I recently updated my PC (see specs. below) from a completely stable 10.10 to a problematic 11.04, the problem is that the machine will lock up completely after a few minutes of use, no error messages are displayed, and Ctrl+Alt+F4 has normally no effect, only once have I been able to get to a terminal and shut-down the machine normally, when locked-up the Num Lock and Caps Lock LED's are blinking, now to the really strange part, after a restart from this situation ( on/off switch) the machine will work without lock-ups for the rest of a session (2 or 3 hours perhaps).
I thought that the problem was being caused by the video driver ( ATI Radeon), but the problem occurs if I use either proprietary or non-proprietary drivers.
The problem can occur in any of the programs I use.
It occurs if I use Unity or the classic GUI
Same thing with or without Compiz.
After a lock-up and restart it has also happened that my theme Ambience has been changed to Clearlooks or back.
Probably a clean install from CD would fix the problem, but previously there have been no problems when upgrading from earlier versions, so I don't understand what has happened this time.
Any ideas?

Mike

PC specs.
Packard Bell imedia A4240NC
AMD Athlon II X2 240 dual-core.
Ati Radeon HD 4650 1024MB
1TB HDD
4GB DDR2 memory