PDA

View Full Version : Another tutorial for the terminal...ly challenged--the very basics of getting Ubuntu

aysiu
May 14th, 2006, 03:26 AM
I know some people are big fans of point-and-click tutorials.

I hate making them because they take a lot of time to do, and they also take up a lot of bandwidth. I'm hoping this one won't take my web space over its limit for the month.

Well, here it is:
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

Moving from Windows to Ubuntu--getting started.

It outlines downloading the ISO, doing a checksum, burning the disk image, and installing Ubuntu.

Omnios
May 14th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Amazing, aysiu well done!

Carrots171
May 14th, 2006, 03:38 AM
This tutorial, or a tutorial like this one, should really be on every Linux website. When I tried to install Linux for the first time, I booted up Windows and stuck in the CD. It took quite a while to figure out why it didn't work.

When you finish up the tutorial, you should mention Automatix/Easy Ubuntu somewhere.

aysiu
May 14th, 2006, 03:43 AM
This tutorial, or a tutorial like this one, should really be on every Linux website. When I tried to install Linux for the first time, I booted up Windows and stuck in the CD. It took quite a while to figure out why it didn't work. Yeah, I had no idea what an ISO or an MD5 was when I first started Linux. I made quite a few coasters before I realized you needed to verify the disk image and burn at a slow speed.

When you finish up the tutorial, you should mention Automatix/Easy Ubuntu somewhere. Yeah, I haven't even gotten to the end of the installer yet. My hope is to tack on more as I get more done. I'll no doubt mention Automatix, Easy Ubuntu, and the Wiki entry on RestrictedFormats.

zubrug
May 14th, 2006, 04:21 AM
bookmarked, will give the address out with full credits to you, the cd's should be packaged in this.
Really, I distroyed about half a dozen cd's trying to burn a ISO. Did I tell the one about trying to load using the sources.:-#

catlett
May 14th, 2006, 04:36 AM
It appears this will be the best Ubuntu install guide yet. You have really gone into detail. I passed on Ubuntu as my first distro because I couldn't install it. The guide I found through the forums wasn't detailed. It assumed I had alot of knowledge I didn't have.
I hope canonical will give this guide, when it is done, some bandwidth. The one shame of free software is that there aren't funds available to subsidise work such as this.
If I ever hit the lottery I'm making my own distro and you'll be the first person to get an offer to run support and public relations. :-D
I know you do not like attention but it is a pleasure to have made your acquaintence through this forum and to have learned from your advice and example. I think I can speak for many when I say, your work is very much appreciated.

benplaut
May 14th, 2006, 04:55 AM
/me can mirror images... if needed

great guide!

aysiu
May 14th, 2006, 04:57 AM
If I ever hit the lottery I'm making my own distro and you'll be the first person to get an offer to run support and public relations. Sounds good... well, support does. I don't know about public relations
/me can mirror images... if needed Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on it if I exceed my bandwidth.

aysiu
May 14th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Update: I've added in a little bit of clarification. I've also put in screenshots for the end of the installation process.

They look a little weird because the first screenshots were taken with Ubuntu. The last screenshots were taken with Xubuntu on my test computer, since I don't want to reinstall Ubuntu on my newer computer.

The only thing I'm missing are screenshots for installing Grub... I'm working on that. Hopefully, I can get that in before June 1.

aysiu
May 15th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Another update--I backed up my partition using PartImage, installed Ubuntu on my main computer (my old test computer is just too slow), and did the proper screenshots. Then I restored my old partition with PartImage.

So the screenshots are all uniform now.

One thing that surprised me is that the installer no longer asks if you want to install Grub to the MBR or not. I don't think it's a total loss, as I always advise people to install to the MBR anyway, but it does seem kind of odd that you're not even given that choice.

nalmeth
May 15th, 2006, 04:44 AM
looks like a sig link in the making

the first picture is cropped a little messily though, there are t's on the side, looks a little funny.

aysiu
May 15th, 2006, 04:47 AM
the first picture is cropped a little messily though, there are t's on the side, looks a little funny. Yeah, let me fix that.

confused57
May 15th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Here I am, trying to learn terminal, and "another" GUI tutorial howto comes along, go figure.

Great job, aysiu. Your tutorial with screenshots explained things which took me weeks, if not months to figure out. Next time someone starts a thread with "install questions", I'll just post a reply with your link...no other instructions needed, sure will save a lot of typing. Wish I'd had this when I was fumbling around as a rank beginner, which I am still.

Another "Bookmark", how do I move your link up to the top of my bookmarks list?

Thanks

aysiu
May 15th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Here I am, trying to learn terminal, and "another" GUI tutorial howto comes along, go figure.

Great job, aysiu. Your tutorial with screenshots explained things which took me weeks, if not months to figure out. How long do you think it took me to figure it all out? I made a lot of Linux coasters, I'll tell you!
Wish I'd had this when I was fumbling around as a rank beginner, which I am still. Same here, which is why I created the tutorial in the first place. I know once Dapper comes around, there will be a lot of people asking, "How do I install the new Ubuntu?" We already get a lot of these even a few weeks before the official release.

While I'm a big fan of the terminal and giving terminal commands, you can't really give some nice copy and paste DOS commands for downloading the correct ISO, downloading the MD5 file, downloading and installing MD5summer, downloading and installing CDBurnerXP, and then doing the checksum and burning the ISO image at a slow speed.

That kind of stuff generally needs screenshots...

Another "Bookmark", how do I move your link up to the top of my bookmarks list? You can bookmark in the forums...?

briancurtin
May 15th, 2006, 05:32 AM
this is great. nice work aysiu, and if you want a mirror, i have 20 GB of space and 1 TB of bandwidth (dreamhost.com rules).

i dont use ubuntu, as ive found Arch to be a lot more to my liking, but im definitely happy to see this. anyone i know who is thinking about linux will probably be referenced to see this tutorial, as it lays everything out. the first part of this is applicable to any distro, since its just making the CD -- something that not a lot of distros tell you how to do.

i wrote about this on my little blog to show people just how to do all of this stuff. hopefully some check it out

aysiu
May 15th, 2006, 05:55 AM
this is great. nice work aysiu, and if you want a mirror, i have 20 GB of space and 1 TB of bandwidth (dreamhost.com rules). I appreciate the offer. When I get close to hitting my bandwidth limit, I'll let you know.

i dont use ubuntu, as ive found Arch to be a lot more to my liking, but im definitely happy to see this. anyone i know who is thinking about linux will probably be referenced to see this tutorial, as it lays everything out. the first part of this is applicable to any distro, since its just making the CD -- something that not a lot of distros tell you how to do. Good point. Most of the tutorial is just how to download, check, and burn an ISO, which is the cornerstone of trying out any Linux distro.

aysiu
May 17th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Another update: I've tacked on a bit more explanation for the 128 MB and below crowd.

That's probably about it for that page. I may be doing future pages, but I think that's enough to scroll through for now.

Edit: I've got another one that's not nearly as polished--this one's on partitioning schemes (http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning.html). Very first draft--I haven't even proofread it yet, but to the curious... it's there.

confused57
May 19th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Deciding on a partition scheme is definitely asked quite a bit in the forum. Your guide makes it much more understandable how it would look(graphically), and what partitions one may want for one's particular preferences, especially for someone just starting.
Does the swap partition have to always be at the end of the partition table? For example could you have partitions: Windows/ext3/swap/free space ?

shuttleworthwannabe
May 19th, 2006, 03:35 AM
great guide! I admire your work quite a lot, your presence here is palpable! Wel done!

Would the admins/ubuntu officials here not have you post this on the official ubunut wiki's? This has got to be the seen to be believed!
Viva!

aysiu
May 19th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Does the swap partition have to always be at the end of the partition table? For example could you have partitions: Windows/ext3/swap/free space ? I know it does not have to be at the end. I don't know, however, whether it is advisable for it to be at the end or in the middle. I've never experienced any performance issues with either (the middle or the end). I've never put it at the beginning, because I think Windows likes to be at the beginning.

Would the admins/ubuntu officials here not have you post this on the official ubunut wiki's? This has got to be the seen to be believed! Anyone can edit the Wikis. I don't see the point of duplicating it there, as tutorials are often hard to find on the Wiki. Don't get me wrong--the tutorials there are often good, but navigation there is a nightmare.

That's why I created my Psychocats Ubuntu site: it's not comprehensive, but it does answer some very frequently asked questions.

The Wiki and the Documentation Storage Facility are more focused on being comprehensive.

aysiu
May 23rd, 2006, 09:15 PM
Here's another one one installing KDE on Ubuntu:
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

Enjoy!

prizrak
May 23rd, 2006, 09:33 PM
I know it does not have to be at the end. I don't know, however, whether it is advisable for it to be at the end or in the middle. I've never experienced any performance issues with either (the middle or the end). I've never put it at the beginning, because I think Windows likes to be at the beginning.

It's good to have it at the end if you want to resize it. You cannot resize it if it's in the middle.
Great guide, it's good to see someone who knows newbie issues creating guides. Some of us forgot what it was like, I for instance would not think that someone would have problems creating a CD from an .iso :)

aysiu
May 23rd, 2006, 09:41 PM
It's good to have it at the end if you want to resize it. You cannot resize it if it's in the middle. Good point.
Great guide, it's good to see someone who knows newbie issues creating guides. Some of us forgot what it was like, I for instance would not think that someone would have problems creating a CD from an .iso :) Well, I am a newbie myself, after all. Tomorrow is my one-year Ubuntu anniversary.

xtacocorex
May 23rd, 2006, 09:41 PM
aysiu, this is great. Your website is really helpful and will definitely be a reccomended link to give to my friends when I convince them to install Ubuntu.

I tried to send you a pm yesterday and then an email, but it [forums] wouldn't let me.

I was going to thank you for the work that you do for all of us who visit the forums. I'm not sure how many people have credited you for that, but it is very appreciated.

I've learned a lot by your example and have begun to be more active in the community as a result of that. I believe that your experience as a teacher gives you a good insight into how to reach new users to Ubuntu in meaningful ways.

aysiu
May 23rd, 2006, 09:50 PM
xtacocorex, I appreciate your remarks.

I don't help out in order to get appreciation, but it is good to know that what I've done has not been in vain.

It's also good to know what people find helpful and unhelpful.

Random note: I just realized I left out the part about KDM/GDM. I'll have to put that in...

prizrak
May 23rd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Tomorrow is my one-year Ubuntu anniversary.
Wonder if Hallmark makes Linux user anniversary cards :)

aysiu
May 24th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Here's one to make a complete pair:

Installing Gnome on KDE:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/gnome

confused57
May 30th, 2006, 05:36 AM
aysiu,
How do you find time to do all this?:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

Your site and sites such as this one:
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/
are making "Linux life" much easier...

I could just post your website as a link to many of the questions in the "Beginners" section...the screenshots are invaluable...something like this has been needed for a long time...I'll repeat myself again(redundant?)...Thanks

aysiu
May 30th, 2006, 05:48 AM
aysiu,
How do you find time to do all this?: Well, I just try not to take on too much at once... one tutorial at a time.

aysiu
June 23rd, 2006, 01:35 AM
Someone just posted this Kubuntu screenshot tutorial (http://www.linuxloader.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=28) on LinuxQuestions, and it looks pretty good. You have to keep clicking through about twenty-six pages, but the screenshots are solid, and it goes through the installation and beyond.

aysiu
September 15th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I've recently added a new tutorial to the "terminal-ly challenged" line-up:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flash

It's for those who are not satisfied with Flash 7 alone and need Flash 9 right now (or at least Flash 8).

TravisNewman
September 15th, 2006, 05:10 PM
aysiu, you ever think of writing a book on this stuff? Even if nobody wanted to publish it, there's always cafepress publishing and other things like it, and I for one would buy a copy.

aysiu
September 15th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I think there's an inherent limitation books relating to Linux face--that the development of applications is faster than the turnaround for book publishing.

Online is the way to go, I'm afraid. I appreciate the idea, though.

NoTiG
September 15th, 2006, 06:42 PM
What i would like to see is a guide or even a script to automate installing ubuntu without having to burn it to a cd. Like this: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=28948

I think its better that way because: A. sometimes the cd gets turned into a coaster and people might not be sure why their installation fails. It just introduces a point of error that could be cut. B. it takes more time to burn an iso image than just to bootstrap the kernel. C. Some people might not have cd writers or any spare cds on hand

Brunellus
September 15th, 2006, 06:46 PM
might not be a bad idea to start thinking about writing them in LyX/LaTeX--it could thus be possible to output nice HTML and nice PDFs for offline reading....with revision control.

aysiu
September 15th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I may not have the patience to learn LaTeX, but that sounds like a good idea in theory!

Brunellus
September 15th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I may not have the patience to learn LaTeX, but that sounds like a good idea in theory!
LyX is fine; for howto documents and the like, it's probably your best bet. Not WYSIWYG...but it "compiles" into very nicely typeset pages

aysiu
September 15th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Any LyX for dummies tutorial out there? I just went to their webpage, and I'm lost.

Brunellus
September 15th, 2006, 07:33 PM
you might want to ping kleeman from these forums--he's the big LyX booster around here. Additionally, LyX installs with its own documentation--open it up and read their tutorial.

(I know, not very newbie friendly, right. I learned vim the same way)

aysiu
September 15th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Yeah, vim scares me.

Nano I can do, but not vim.

Brunellus
September 15th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Yeah, vim scares me.

Nano I can do, but not vim.
Vim's actually not that bad....but yeah, it does require a bit of effort to learn. I keep a vim cheatsheet taped to the wall just in case. The nice thing about vim is that it's easier for me to remember individual commadns to do individual things, rather than having to remember chords (as emacs would have me do).

Nano is neat, because it's just a clone of pico, which I used in college. Even the most diehard windows users at my college preferred telnetting to our email server and using PINE/Pico for their e-mail. Speed!

aysiu
September 15th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Well, that's why I gravitated toward Nano, actually. When I first started using email back in 1995, it was at the university, and the only way to check it back then was using Telnet and PINE.

aysiu
September 23rd, 2006, 10:33 PM
New tutorial for you--this one explains how to install Internet Explorer on Ubuntu using the IEs4Linux script:
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/ies4linux

aysiu
September 29th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Here's the prequel to the Flash 9 tutorial through Wine:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flashubuntu

This new tutorial is about just plain old Flash 7 native to Ubuntu. It outlines three ways to install Flash:

1. Locally for one user
2. System-wide using four commands in the terminal
3. System-wide using Synaptic Package Manager